Crumbly soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunibee

Reaction score
My soap was crumbly n i rebatched it thinking it needed extra cooking. .. it cut well. Now after a few weeks. I realised it still breaking in the centre. I want to rebatch it to new soap ..any other ideas are welcome ..coz this is a triple butter recipe for winter And it is colder than normal now
Thank you all in Advance

Hi @Sunibee! If you provide the full recipe and process, including all additives and fragrance, that will help folks figure out that might have happened.
Screenshot_20220107-093726.jpg

This is my recipe.. I normally use this. Don't know what is wrong. EO is eucalyptus n teatree . I changed the butter, because I was out of cocoa

First thing I do when someone posts their recipe is to run it through a soap calculator. I see that you calculated your Lye at 221.859. I ran your recipe through SoapCalc and came out with 209.13 g of Lye using Mango Butter and 209.59 g Lye using Cocoa Butter since I wasn't sure if you recalculated when you substituted. It's not unsurprising that there is a variance...there generally is depending on what SAP list is used, but it's not enough of a difference to hurt anything...less than half an ounce (for us Imperial users).

Second...how much water did you use? I don't Hot Process myself, but I do understand it and I know that you have to use more water than you do when doing Cold Process because the cooking process turns the water to steam which means less water in your soap which could be why your soap is crumbling.

Back