Crumbly soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucecp

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know this has been addressed before, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask again. I am new to soap making and upon cutting my 3rd ever batch of soap I found it to be extremely crumbly! I haven't had this problem before, but again I am new to soapmaking.
I used a recipe given to me in a soap making class:

16.5oz Olive Oil
7.5oz Sweet Almond Oil
6oz Coconut Oil
4.03oz Lye
9.9oz Water (distilled)

I then added some titanium dioxide for coloring (.2 oz) and a new fragrance oil I had 'champagne' from Brambleberry (2oz) ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437949857.594192.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1437949873.330704.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1437949885.522644.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1437949896.142574.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1437949906.165919.jpg

Any ideas? I appreciate any and all help. Thank you!!

Welcome to the forum!

Did you run the recipe through a lye calculator? It's always best to do that when using a new recipe, even if it's out of a book or a recipe that's been given to you.

The recipe its self looks fine, I ran it through soapcalc. Usually crumbly edges like that are from either cutting too soon or too late. In this case, it looks like it might have been a bit too soon. Was the soap soft or creamy still?

I was wrong, you waited way too long to cut. I rarely have to wait more then 12 hours before I cut but it really depends on your recipe. Learning when to cut is one of those things that comes with experience. I generally cut as soon as my soap is firm enough to handle.

Ah thank you guys so much! That makes a lot of sense. Is this batch still usable then?

Back