crumbly soap thats NOT lye heavy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmerdaughter

Reaction score
Im not sure this is a recipe problem, as Im not sure what my problem is. my last three batches have been crumbly upon cutting. Looking at them in there molds they look great, when I cut they crack/fall to peices. I posted pics of the first batch (in another post) it was a coffee soap. than there was a honey/oat soap it wasnt as bad but I still rebatched. (which improved it) Earlier this week an aloe soap. None of these soaps zapped me, and I zap tested them while cutting. Each recipe was different, but i always use frozen goat milk and some amt of lard . I soap around 100F. Another thing worth mentioning I have recently changed brands of lye. These 3 problem batches were made with roebic crystals. The reason I mention it is while I was searching the forum I found two other threads about unexplainable crumbly soap. one of the posters told they were using roebic brand. I know many people use that brand without problem, but I plan on switching back anyway. My old brand, comstar is in bead form I like that better. If its not my lye what eles causes crumbly soap? each batch was so different, I dont understand why Im having the same problem with each. But I am getting frustrated. :( (see i cant even spell im so upset) :roll:

I guess Ive posted in a slow or wrong section... anyhow Ive chosen my aloe soap to test with. Here is the recipe same as the first time just different brand of lye.
22ozlard 1.5ozcastor 3ozlye 6ozfrozen goat milk 3oz aloe puree. temp oils 110 lye was warm not hot. It took about an hour and 15 to trace. poured as a light/medium trace my mold is a cardboard oatmeal container I insulated with towel over night. Its about 15 hours old, now. and still a bit warm so Im gonna leave it alone for now.

so here's a pic. its not as crumbly this time more flakey, maybe a little brittle. I cut it while it was still little warm, because it was also very hard. I was wrong to accuse my lye company (sorry roebic!) I'll have to mind my stiring and temp next time, and hope it makes a difference. which brings me to another question How hot is too hot for a mostly lard and goat milk soap? Ive been heating my oils around 100-110. My GM is frozen so my lye never really gets hot.

aloesoap.JPG

aloesoap2.JPG

thefarmerdaughter said:
thank you hazel I wasnt aware stiring could cause this kind of problem.

I didn't either until I read about it on Miller's site. I guess inadequate mixing prevents proper emulsification of the oils. Because the oils are cooling, it starts to thicken up (false trace! :lol: ) and you end up with a soft, slightly oily, crumbly loaf. All I know is my soap was soft and crumbly. I rebatched both of them and they turned out fine.

Latest posts

Back