Crumbly salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I made my first salt bars last night, unmolded early this morning and waiting until just now to cut them. The bars are quite firm but not real hard. The soap didn't stick to the knife at all but they did crumble near the bottom and crack though out the bar. One even split in half.
Did I wait too long to cut or to soon? I'm thinking maybe too long this time. I usually cut too soon and don't get a clean looking bar.

20% SF
30 oz CO
10 oz Crisco
25 oz sea salt

H2O 17.1 oz
Lye 6.04

1/2 oz each
peppermint oil
eucalyptus oil
tea tree oil

Pictures
55rpuh.jpg

9vfhh5.jpg

I think lots of people like to either cook their soap in the oven for an hour or two at 170 after pouring it. Once it's cool enough to handle, but still warm, then you can slice it up. Second option is to pour the soap into individual molds, that way you don't have to worry about it crumbling at all.

Salt bars need to be cut relatively soon...generally 11/2-2 hours after molding. I learned that the hard way with the same experience as you. I now use individual molds or use my slab mold with dividers so I don't have to worry about them crumbling. You can cut as soon as they are solid but still warm. Will make it much easier.

There is no way I could have cut it that soon, maybe I should have made sure it gelled which it didn't.

I made my first salt bars last March and had the same experience - I don't think I even had a single bar that stayed in one piece and I cut them within a couple hours. And then after trying them I really didn't even like them because of the sticky feeling they left on my hands. I came close to throwing the whole thing in the trash, BUT I refrained and left them to cure these past 3 or so months. I pulled out a chunk the other day and WOW!! I was so impressed with the way they lather and feel that I whipped out another batch (this time in individual molds) so I'd have some whole, decent looking bars!!

I'll have to get more individual molds in case I try salt again. I can't wait to see how these are in a few months, the little sliver I tried just now already feels nice. Not sticky or greasy at all.

Definitely use individual molds are cut your bars within a few hours after pouring them. The more salt in the recipe the more crumbly the bars will be if you wait too long to cut them. They will still be a bit warm, but easily cut. Salt soap sets up and hardens very, very quickly.

Thanks for the picture. Definitely will get individual molds. Do you pour while its thin? I've used individual molds a couple times and the top side is always lumpy bumpy. Haven't quite figured out how to smooth it.

Pouring thin helps and plopping the mold on the counter smooths it out, too.

I usually mix all the goodies together to a thin trace. I then mix the salt in by hand until well blended and pour quickly into individual molds to just under the lip line and I get a smooth back. I put the silicone molds on a metal pan so I can give it a good wack!

Last edited:
I have cut my salt bars before I got individual molds in 3 hours while its still warm and had no problem but like everyone else it was almost impossible to cut the first time when I waited almost 24 hours :(

I made salt bars for the first time this weekend and boy, what an experience! First, the batter didn't get thick like I expected after hand stirring the salt in (60%). I added the salt at thin trace and poured them in individual molds. When I checked on them a couple of hours after pouring there was a lot of oil on top so I thought I had a case of false trace. I let them sit overnite and when they were still soft the next morning I put all of them except 1 in the crockpot and rebatched them. This time around they hardened pretty quickly. But here's the funny part. When I went to unmold them, the one I didn't rebatch came out fine. No crumbling, hard as a rock with no oily top and no zap. The others that I rebatched aren't pretty but I washed my hands with one and can tell already that I'm going to love salt bars. Don't know what happened with my batch (maybe the soap gremlins visited but I know I'm going to be making some again.

I made my first salt bars last night, unmolded early this morning and waiting until just now to cut them. The bars are quite firm but not real hard. The soap didn't stick to the knife at all but they did crumble near the bottom and crack though out the bar. One even split in half.
Did I wait too long to cut or to soon? I'm thinking maybe too long this time. I usually cut too soon and don't get a clean looking bar.

20% SF
30 oz CO
10 oz Crisco
25 oz sea salt

H2O 17.1 oz
Lye 6.04

1/2 oz each
peppermint oil
eucalyptus oil
tea tree oil

It sounds like you may have waited to long to cut, but salt bars are known for that. It helps to flip them upside down on (waxed paper) to cut. The first batch I made cut just fine. I used the oven method for 2 hours then cut right away while still warm.

The second batch I made to late at night and cut 8 hours later. They had some crumbling but look ok for handmade soap (gives them character). I put part of the batter in 2 silicon molds as a test. They are shaped like mini bundt pans, so cute. Those 2 popped right out after 8 hours.

My bars are a failure. I don't know if they have too much salt or what but they are falling apart. I grated them and am trying something different to save the batch. Will report back if all works out.

Good luck!

I made my first salt bars today, and while they turned out ok, I didn't bang my mold to compact and get rid of air. I will probably have issues with some chunks coming off, but since they are just for us it's not a problem.

Thanks:) so far, so good. I ended up soaking the bits in water to remove some of the salt and hopefully some of the scent. The EO's I used were hideous together. after I drained the water off, I cooked it then whipped it. Added in a bit of clay then poured. I'm hoping the excess water doesn't cause too much trouble, if so I'll cook it down more in a crock pot and try again. Worse case scenario, I shred it, let it dry and have a nice powdered soap.
When I cleaned up, I washed with the left over bits and it lathers great but it did leave a salt residue on my skin.

Edit: here is the results. The greyish green has clay added, the pink had some color and a touch of lilac fo added. This was really fun. With that much water added, I was able to whip it up to a cool whip consistency. It barley fit in the molds it had so much extra air in it. The bars are really light, I suspect they may even float once cured.

The white bits are pieces of the original bar that didn't get broke up enough to whip. There are a few speckles of clay that didn't get mixed in very well either. Looks kinda neat.

2ivb5mc.jpg

I hated cutting these into usable sizes...
wbz5gx.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back