Crumbly Salt Bar… What went wrong

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100%…positive. I also use up to 150% in scrubs🤔🤔🤔not sure why you have such an issue. Actually, my scrubs are sugar, not salt (not sure if that makes a difference). I’m almost positive there are other makers who use 100% salt in soaps with no issue. Maybe one will chime in. I am able to color and swirl and I love, love, love my salt bars. I do give them a ridiculously long cure….at the very least 12 months.

Who said anything about an 'issue'? If it works for you...great.

Are you sure you are using 100%? I only ask because I've made a Salt Scrub with 100% and it's barely moveable.

There are quite a few members who use salt at 100%. I used to but found it didn't lather is well in my harder water so I kept tweaking the amount until I found the perfect amount for my conditions.

You said you don't like salt bars, how long did you cure them? They need a good long cure, at least 6 months but a year or two is better.
If you happen to have a old one tucked away somewhere, give it a try.

You made reference to your salt scrub being “barely moveable” at 100% and also stated that you have tossed 3 batches of salt bars. Would you not call those “issues”? Maybe I misunderstood 😬😬and if so, I apologize.

That's the problem with this kind of communication, so much can get lost in translation. LOL No worries.

You said you don't like salt bars, how long did you cure them? They need a good long cure, at least 6 months but a year or two is better.

If you happen to have a old one tucked away somewhere, give it a try.

It's not that I don't like them, they don't like me. The first ones (50%) were rough when I pulled them out of the cavity mold. The second ones did the same and I went with 40%. The first two were 100% CO, 20% SF, 33% Lye Concentration...no scent or colorants. The third batch...80% CO, 20% Avocado Oil, 20% SF, 33% Lye Concentration made with 100% Coconut Milk and a tad bit of Chromium Green...I was really happy with how they looked, all nice and smooth and then they started sweating...and sweating and sweating. They finally quit sweating after about four months and the texture went from smooth to rough. I held onto all three for close to eight months. None of my testers like them, I didn't like them. Way too drying. And I wouldn't have mined a little roughness with use since I was wanting to sell it as a foot scrub to begin with, but it was crumbly rough, not exfoliating. Unfortunately, I had space constraints at the time, so I just tossed them.

I'm considering trying it again. Smaller batch this time...4 instead of 8 bars and I have the space now so I can just put them on the top shelf and forget about them.

It's not that I don't like them, they don't like me. The first ones (50%) were rough when I pulled them out of the cavity mold. The second ones did the same and I went with 40%. The first two were 100% CO, 20% SF, 33% Lye Concentration...no scent or colorants. The third batch...80% CO, 20% Avocado Oil, 20% SF, 33% Lye Concentration made with 100% Coconut Milk and a tad bit of Chromium Green...I was really happy with how they looked, all nice and smooth and then they started sweating...and sweating and sweating. They finally quit sweating after about four months and the texture went from smooth to rough. I held onto all three for close to eight months. None of my testers like them, I didn't like them. Way too drying. And I wouldn't have mined a little roughness with use since I was wanting to sell it as a foot scrub to begin with, but it was crumbly rough, not exfoliating. Unfortunately, I had space constraints at the time, so I just tossed them.

I'm considering trying it again. Smaller batch this time...4 instead of 8 bars and I have the space now so I can just put them on the top shelf and forget about them.

I've had single bars come out crumbly before too, leave them in the mold longer. Fresh salt soap is hard but also fragile.

Try 80% coconut, 20% olive with 30% salt and 20% SF.
I don't like olive at all but its nice in a salt bar. Maybe make them during your dry season or use a small fan to keep them dry.

I've had single bars come out crumbly before too, leave them in the mold longer. Fresh salt soap is hard but also fragile.

Try 80% coconut, 20% olive with 30% salt and 20% SF. I don't like olive at all but its nice in a salt bar. Maybe make them during your dry season or use a small fan to keep them dry.

Thanks. I'll wait until mid-June/July then.

Not related to your crumbly issue, but I would seriously suggest doing a search regarding Himalayan salt. It tends to be way too sharp for soap and has actually cut people when they’ve used it.
I use fine Himalayan sea salt in my bars and have never had any complaints; actually one of my most popular soaps. I think the key is that the salt must be “fine” - not medium or coarse. “Fine” seems to be just fine.

Try 80% coconut, 20% olive with 30% salt and 20% SF.
I don't like olive at all but its nice in a salt bar. Maybe make them during your dry season or use a small fan to keep them dry.
Check out the video for making salt bars from “I Dream in Soap”. It will change your life (well, it will enable you to make awesome salt soap anyway).

I use fine Himalayan sea salt in my bars and have never had any complaints; actually one of my most popular soaps. I think the key is that the salt must be “fine” - not medium or coarse. “Fine” seems to be just fine.
I also use the fine Himalayan pink salt from Costco - no complaints from anyone. But with all the other complaints I've read of actual skin lacerations, it does make me wonder if Costco's version is actually authentic Himalayan sea salt, or something else with pink coloring.

@Jenny Sparks
Welcome.gif

You may want to read through this thread:

ADVICE TO BEGINNERS

That sounds like the way to go for the future. I ended up pulverizing the bars and rebatching them. After melting, I put them in individual molds. 🤞🏼
Please, I just had the same problem with exactly the same recipe. But I did go gel phase with one part and the other I put in individual mold and fridge. The one that went thru gel phase crumbles a bit,the other one is perfect. I just tried the soap to see the lather and it is super creamy and white.
Could you tell me how you rebatched yours? I don't have a crockpot.

Latest posts

Back