Crock Pot Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielle22033

Reaction score
I am making my first batch of goat milk soap with fresh goat milk and i just went to stir it because I thought that it was done (it looked like it was in the gel stage) however the soap has browned a bit and the oils have separated? What do I do in this situation? Has this happened to anyone before?

Thanks

I do not gel my goat's milk soaps because they do turn brown. The sugars in the GM carmelize or may even burn. You are using a crock pot? The GM may get too hot. But as far as the oils separating, are you sure you had reached trace?

Yes, I reached trace for sure. I ended up watching a video on HP on the stove and apparently it separates like this normally on the stove? I have never seen it because I am a huge fan of using the crock pot. What I did was let it stay in the crock pot longer for about an extra hour... and I was getting tired (it was midnight) and so I decided to once again use the immersion blender and it thickened so fast it almost seized in the pot. I was able to get it out in time and it set very nice. However it is stinky and brown like a dark caramel. I don't wish this bar of soap on anyone :p I had this separation issue before. I think it happens when I add the lye water to the crock pot and the oil has been sitting in there too long and the temp is too high. I was waiting for the lye to melt the goat milk cubes and it took too long.

I've not had the separation issue with my HP soaps, but since you have an idea of what may be causing it, maybe you could test that out for your next batch(yay, more soap!) As for the brownness- as Ruthie mentioned, it's probably from the caramelization of the goats milk. Not too pretty but at least the soap should be useable. I haven't tried making milk soaps using HP so maybe someone with experience doing that will stop by and give tips on how to prevent the browning. Good luck!

I'm a newbie and the same thing has happened to me. I'm pretty sure I over cooked it but id love to hear from someone with experience.

When I make HP soap, I stir it off and on for about 20 minutes and test for zap, the majority of the time it is done then and it makes a much smoother HP..If it isn't done I let it go and check it frequently, it has always been zap free within 30 minutes.

Mine always has the separation stage. I stir it back together and then it starts to do the rolling over on itself thing starting at the edges. I do mine in a crockpot on low setting. I have a batch in there right now in fact!

skater girl. how long do you cook it?

You know, I've never paid much attention to the time. I watch the batch so intently that I haven't noticed. I'll time the next batch. Sorry :oops: I did a batch today, but that one had sugar and GM in it so I was very careful about the temp. If I had to guess I'd say it was about 45 minutes.

Latest posts

Back