Crocheted water balloons

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
School is out or almost out in most parts of the US, and many parents are going to be looking for ways to keep their kids busy and engaged. I stumbled across a quick project for crocheters that appealed to my funny bone -- crocheted water balloons. They are basically a pouch made with bulky yarn that looks a bit like a real water balloon.

The idea is to soak the crocheted pouch in water rather than fill plastic balloons, and then use the soppy wet pouch just like a water balloon. Safer, reusable, less messy, may use less water, but every bit as wet and crazy as the real thing. ;)

http://thecrochetcrowd.com/crocheted-water-balloons/

Crocheted-Water-Balloons-4.jpg

What a cute idea. Carolyn, I think these would sell at your markets, especially if they are easy and quick enough to price them on the lower side or sell them in a set of several (6-12 say). Eco friendly water balloons. I like it.

One of the comments to the article says this --

"...I’ve found to get the best result you really want to use the Bernat Blanket yarn. When I tested these balloons out, I found even a knock-off polyester yarn similar to Bernat Blanket was far inferior when it came to absorbency and softness...."

The Youtube video (above) is amusing, but the presenter did a good job evaluating the best kind of yarn to use and the safety and fun aspects of this idea. Her young product testers are terminally cute.

edit: As far as price, yes, I agree the blanket yarn would be about $1 per balloon or a bit more if regular price -- less if you got a good coupon deal.

As far as the cost of your time, I think they'd work up pretty fast and easy. Only 7 rounds of double and single crochet. I'm a beginner/intermediate crocheter and after making a couple-three of these, I think even I would be able to do one without referring to the pattern and while watching TV or talking to someone. So it's not like you'd have to focus only on the crochet.

I hate pricing things, but my first guess is maybe $3 per balloon, or 4 for $10. What do you think?

Last edited:
But... @cmzaha I want to buy them! I might have to get my sister to teach me crochet. I need something to do with my hands while at slow craft shows, and I know a bunch of kids that would use these. Maybe an adult or ten...

I get bored pretty easily with things like this too, so I doubt I could do these little balloons for hours on end. But if I have something else to occupy my mind (conversation, TV, radio, etc.) while my fingers hook away on autopilot ... and lots of breaks ... it's not too bad.

But... @cmzaha I want to buy them! I might have to get my sister to teach me crochet. I need something to do with my hands while at slow craft shows, and I know a bunch of kids that would use these. Maybe an adult or ten...

It's great to do while you are watching TV too.
If you find a stitch you are not familiar with look it up on the internet. People have amazingly good how to videos on you tube. Good idea to get your sister to show you how to hold the crochet hook correctly from the beginning so you don't learn bad habits that can be painful if crocheting for a long time.

I agree, PJ -- thank goodness for Youtube. I'm a lefty. I can usually follow a right-hander's demo especially for simpler stitches, but for the more complicated ones, it's sure nice to watch a lefty version of a video so I don't have to do all the extra mental processing. Thank goodness many crocheters who do videos are now providing both.

If you decide to try to learn to makes these I would order this Crochet Hook, since it will slide through the blanket yarn and has a cook hook for catching the yarn. Most, including wood hooks do not go through this type of yarn smoothly. There are some fun easy hat patterns that adapt to this yarn also

I love Mikey from the crochet crowd!
I didn’t know there was bernat blanket stripes balls out now, gah, keep me away from the craft store!

I should try to bust out half a dozen or something for my wee folks this summer

Thanks for posting this @DeeAnna

I agree, PJ -- thank goodness for Youtube. I'm a lefty. I can usually follow a right-hander's demo especially for simpler stitches, but for the more complicated ones, it's sure nice to watch a lefty version of a video so I don't have to do all the extra mental processing. Thank goodness many crocheters who do videos are now providing both.
I too am a lefty. I taught myself how to crochet when I was about 12 from a Better Homes & Garden handbook. My mom was able to teach my sisters but I just didn't grasp it watching her then. I also taught myself how to tie a tie. I tried to learn how to knit but never got beyond very basic. That book was awesome back then.

Those balloons are a cool idea.

If you decide to try to learn to makes these I would order this Crochet Hook, since it will slide through the blanket yarn and has a cook hook for catching the yarn. Most, including wood hooks do not go through this type of yarn smoothly. There are some fun easy hat patterns that adapt to this yarn also

@cmzaha did you mean to link a crochet hook, or was it something in the video that was mentioned? I haven't watched the video yet, I was going to wait until I see my sister on Sunday so I wouldn't chicken out before even talking to her about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back