Criteria for Selecting FO's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose Wrangler

Reaction score
I've been looking into FO's recently and purchased a couple. I'm curious what selection criteria folks use when picking FO's? I've been looking at:

-discoloration/acceleration/ricing tendencies
-IFRA usage rates
-reviews
-compatability with how I intend to use the product

I've also read through the SDS's but feel like there's probably some other factors that I'm missing. Anyone have any other qualities they examine or research before trying a new FO?

All the above, plus scent strength.....

In other words, if I have to use a lot of an FO in order to get decent level of scent from it in my soap, I'll look to see if another company sells the same kind of scent, but with a stronger 'scent throw' oz. for oz. No sense in throwing money down the drain by buying an FO from Company X that you have to use 1 oz ppo of to get a decent scent throw out of it, when Company Z has a version of the same scent that comes through strong in your soap at only .5 oz ppo.

For what it's worth, my cut-off point is 1 oz ppo. If an FO can't pull it's weight in terms of scent strength and longevity in my soap at 1 oz ppo, it's just not worth it to me to purchase. Happily, most of my FOs do quite well in my soap at .75 oz ppo, some even less than that. I only have a small handful that need to be used at 1 oz ppo.

IrishLass :)

Does not accelerate trace
Does not discolor soap
Something I will use more than a couple of times
Appealing to both sexes
Can be used to blend with other FOs or EOs
Good reviews
Long lasting scent in soap

Ditto Isg .
My recipe traces fast so I have to be very careful on what I pick. I am not a floral or bakery person so I stay away from those. Mainly stay away from floral since they really accelerate trace.

I don't really care about discoloration due to vanilla content but I steer clear of any that rice or accelerate trace. I look for scents that don't fade away and that sell well for others. I am fortunate that I can use the scent review board and I pretty much always check there before trying out new fragrance oils (even though the info isn't always up to date now).

While I agree with all the above, I do have fo's that accelerate and are so nice I just learn to work with them. When beginning soaping it is best to try to steer clears of known accelerators or fo's that heat up. Coconut, from some suppliers overheat so much it has to be hp'ed which I hate doing. I use all my fo's at 2 oz ppo even a titch more except for some spicy, fo's.

I find it advisable to buy test samples of fo's, even if I do not do what I recommend, so you can run little test batches. Florals are notorious accelerators although I have a lovely Rose Bouquet from Peak that does not discolor or accelerate badly.

Be careful of scent review board, if it is the one I am thinking of, as most of their reviews are years old.
There has been too many re-formulations so I don't fully believe them all.
This is one reason I search for the scent on google or here. Plus I like the NG reviews as they leave the bad ones up too.

ALL THE FOS. ALL! LOL.

I read the reviews. And for me, I find that I am drawn to certain verbal descriptions so I am overloaded in those categories, so I try to make myself drop one of the florals and add something different. Seriously, put the word rose, jasmine or lavender in a description and I'm like "SOLD!"

I've been looking into FO's recently and purchased a couple. I'm curious what selection criteria folks use when picking FO's? I've been looking at:

-discoloration/acceleration/ricing tendencies
-IFRA usage rates
-reviews
-compatability with how I intend to use the product

I've also read through the SDS's but feel like there's probably some other factors that I'm missing. Anyone have any other qualities they examine or research before trying a new FO?
This is pretty much what I look for as well. This and as others have said, scent retention.

I honestly do not care one whit if a FO has discoloration or accelerates because I have long since learned to deal with that, however, it's always nice to know, so I can be prepared.

While I agree with all the above, I do have fo's that accelerate and are so nice I just learn to work with them. When beginning soaping it is best to try to steer clears of known accelerators or fo's that heat up. Coconut, from some suppliers overheat so much it has to be hp'ed which I hate doing. I use all my fo's at 2 oz ppo even a titch more except for some spicy, fo's.

I find it advisable to buy test samples of fo's, even if I do not do what I recommend, so you can run little test batches. Florals are notorious accelerators although I have a lovely Rose Bouquet from Peak that does not discolor or accelerate badly.
Am I reading right? 2 oz. per lb. of oils? With all the soap that's in my house, I would have difficulty breathing. The bees already come to the front door!

Dixiedragon, you had me laughing there! I haven't read too deeply into the descriptions because I don't think my nose is discerning enough to catch all the subtly notes. But, I've noticed that I have some definite preferences based on the name.

Am I reading right? 2 oz. per lb. of oils? With all the soap that's in my house, I would have difficulty breathing. The bees already come to the front door!

She's also a vendor and it is important that her soaps smell on point. You know how people can get is soap does not smell like the bee's knee's. :p:p:D

I corrected that in my head. 1 oz per pound is way more common.

I use 2.5 to 3 oz. in my 5 lbs. of oil batch. Some fo's still burn my nose at that amount and I cure them in a friend's house. My customers aren't saying they can't smell my soap. There are some exceptions with weaker fo's that I use more.

Latest posts

Back