Crisco

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im not sure how this thread gonna turn out but ... here it goes
Ok using Crisco in my soap. I know it’s awful to take internal heath wise ( but it does make good fried chicken)

1) Is it vegan friendly (using the vegetable oil version)

2)It has palm oil in it .. anyone know if it’s the certified kind .It just seems a little more accessible than just getting palm oil.

Any thoughts about using Crisco in soap .. good bad.. ugly ?

Thanks for your comments
DC

I used Crisco in my soaps for awhile and really liked it. I loved that it was so inexpensive too. But, I did have a couple of bars get DOS from those batches a few months later. I can't say specifically it was the Crisco, but that's what I suspect. And, if you are planning on selling, I have found that it just doesn't have the same label appeal as other oils.

I love it. I have use it many times, but I always use coconut oil with it. I have never have dos.

Be careful the one from Walmart with animal fats is tallow and palm, different values than the all vegetable.

I uses crisco when I first started, got a lot of DOS and I didn't care for the soap.
Did it take a while for the DOS to show

I no
I love it. I have use it many times, but I always use coconut oil with it. I have never have dos.

Be careful the one from Walmart with animal fats is tallow and palm, different values than the all vegetable.
normally make mine with a 30/30 Coconut/ Olive oil. Do you think the Coconut oil prevents the DOS

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea, lol. But I have bars that are a year old and they are still lovely.

Lately I use the one from Walmart that has animal fats (which is palm and tallow), at around 60%, and then use coconut around 25%, then fill in with about 5% of olive oil, a nice butter like shea or cocoa or a high oleic like avocado ro rice bran, and castor.

Did it take a while for the DOS to show

It did take a long time but since switching to lard, I don't get dos, not even at two + years.

I should add that I don't use any soy in my soaps. Won't use any products that contain it actually.

I really like the tallow and palm version from walmart but my store doesn't carry it anymore.

I haven't used Crisco vegetable shortening in years. I buy my shortening from Soaper's Choice and it is one of my staples in my recipe. When I was first starting out I used the recipe from Sandy Maine's book "The Soap Book" and Crisco was a majority oil. I've been soaping since 2006 and can say that DOS has never been an issue due to the shortening I use. I will add though that once I bought a tub of store brand shortening - not for use in my soap but to use to affix the freezer paper to the sides of the mold. That shortening developed some pretty ugly brown spots over time.

I am not a fan of soy myself. I have use the Crisco type it when people are vegan, or I remember making like 20 bars as a gift for teachers, and did not want to spend a whole lot.

I could be wrong but I have heard sot oil is prone to dos. But crisco has preservatives on it, so would that not help? If the expiration date is 2 years in the future, would that not help? Ot expiration has nothing to do with it?

I have never had dos, thankfully. But maybe the fact that I superfat at 3% helps?

Thanks everyone.. in my 2 month old Soaps with Crisco I have not seen anything. However I do want to use a certified Palm (I didn’t think Crisco’s is) . I know Palm and Crisco is not interchangeable but I’d like to use the same recipe

Ok using Crisco in my soap. I know it’s awful to take internal heath wise ( but it does make good fried chicken)

2)It has palm oil in it .. anyone know if it’s the certified kind .It just seems a little more accessible than just getting palm oil.

Thanks for your comments
DC

I buy my PO in bulk, 7 to 10 pounds, from Bulk Apothecary.com. I don't have any local source for my oils.

Thanks everyone.. in my 2 month old Soaps with Crisco I have not seen anything. However I do want to use a certified Palm (I didn’t think Crisco’s is) . I know Palm and Crisco is not interchangeable but I’d like to use the same recipe

You can completely replace the crisco with palm, just make sure to run the recipe through a lye calc.

Well thanks .. do you think it will be better or what kind of improvement might it be, besides the avoiding DOS ? ‍♂️

What percentage of the recipe will be palm? Palm will make a harder, longer lasting bar with creamier lather then the crisco.

The only issue I really have with palm is it traces too fast for me. Most other don't have that problem though.

I don't use palm anymore unless I need a vegan recipe for some reason. I really prefer lard, makes a far superior soap imo.

What percentage of the recipe will be palm? Palm will make a harder, longer lasting bar with creamier lather then the crisco.

The only issue I really have with palm is it traces too fast for me. Most other don't have that problem though.

I don't use palm anymore unless I need a vegan recipe for some reason. I really prefer lard, makes a far superior soap imo.
I was using a 25 OO , 25 CCO , 50 Crisco

Thanks for your comments
DC

1. Not according to some vegans. Some very strict vegans will not accept any palm of any sort, so I would not call it vegan. I would call it vegetarian friendly instead, though and if a vegan asks if it is vegan friendly, I would say, only if you don't have a problem with palm oil.

I use palm oil in my vegan bars as palm oil is a vegetable product and is considered vegan. Many people, not just vegans will not use palm oil. Palm oil can be can be obtained without abuse to animals, etc; it's knowing where you buy it from.

Back