Crisco

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjt123

Reaction score
Has anybody used a 100 per cent Crisco recipe?
If so do you calculate the same as lard? and how much did you super fat it?

Does Crisco make a good bar?

Meh Its ok, but I stopped using it as I didn't think it was as nice as OO, Lard, coconut, castor etc... If I needed to make a lot of soap for my 9 kids and husband on the prairie I would be all over it - it's a decent inexpensive soap, but not very impressive as far as lather or how your skin feels afterwards.

My first soap was high in crisco (I think it was around 70%) and it turned out to develop DOS within 2 months. It's common with high linoleic/linolenic oils but I didn't know it at the time.

It is the soybean that makes it not a great soap. If you nothing against animal fat, Walmart has a shortening that is Beef Fat (tallow)

Really? I didn't know that. I use the lard, but would love to try the tallow. What brand?

My first soap was high in crisco (I think it was around 70%) and it turned out to develop DOS within 2 months. It's common with high linoleic/linolenic oils but I didn't know it at the time.

What is DOS if I may ask?

No, it is the beginnings of rancidity. The oils in soap can go rancid depending on your recipe, contact with metal, or heat and humidity. Eventually the whole bar goes orange (I had that happen to my very first batch with crisco)

I keep the linoleic/linolenic fatty acid amount at less than 15 (%) for my soaps. That means I don't use canola, crisco, soybean, regular sunflower, or even goose and chicken fat. One time I made a soap with goose fat and it went rancid within 2 months.

Many people use small amounts of the oils I listed above successfully (Carolyn, cmzaha is one I can think of). I've even been able to make some high canola soaps with decent success lately. Storage has a lot to do with it. However, those (my high canola) soaps are still super soft and I know they will go rancid if I let the temperature go up too high in the house.

Last edited:
sorry, I should have explained... dreaded orange spots are an indication of rancidity. It's commonly caused by oils high in Linoleic or Linolenic fatty acids. A rule of thumb is to stick with recipes that have no more than 15 combined of those. Also, it can be caused by contaminants in water so most folks use distilled water. Other possibly causes... too high of superfat or storing soap on metal. Some folks have trouble with lard, but I've never had a problem using store bought lard.

ETA... galaxy beat me to it :)

Back