Crisco and Coconut Milk?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryfolk

Reaction score
I'm new to soapmaking. I have one batch of traditional lard cp soap that has been curing for a week. After reading your forum I'm ready to move on. Does anyone know if Coconut Milk can be used in a recipe that is 3lbs. Crisco, 6oz. lye and 12oz water. I've read that goats milk can be a replacer for water and thought maybe coconut milk would to. Also does Coconut Milk scent your soap? Thanks

Hi there and welcome! :)

Yes...coconut milk can be used and no, the lye gets all the scent.

Can someone give me an idea of how and when and how much of the coconut milk to use with the recipe I listed?

I'd like to help tackle the 'when, how, and how much' question, but before I do I'll need to know if you wish to replace all the water with coconut milk or just part of the water, and also whether you wish to use canned or powdered milk. Thanks! :)

IrishLass

I have canned coconut milk 13.5 oz. can. I was thinking of mixing 6 oz. water with lye then 6 oz. of canned milk at trace with above recipe. What do you think?

Don't forget to take into account the fat content of coconut milk....it can be quite high. You may want to reduce your superfat amount. :D

countryfolk said:
I have canned coconut milk 13.5 oz. can. I was thinking of mixing 6 oz. water with lye then 6 oz. of canned milk at trace with above recipe. What do you think?

That sounds perfect! :)

As for lowering your superfat, I highly agree. I just started doing the 'lower superfat' thing on my 100% milk soaps and it makes a wonderful difference in my lather. I was previously doing them at my regular 5% s/f, but the milk-fat amount just plain burst my bubbles. :( I got lots of lotiony creaminess, but little to no bubbliness, and it was really bugging me. I got a bee in my bonnet and decided to lower my superfat level to a bold 3% and it fixed the problem quite beautifully. I now get wonderful bubblage and still have a beautifully conditioning bar of soap. WooHoo! :D

Since you're just going to use 50% coconut milk, I think that lowering your superfat to 4% seems like a pretty safe bet. :)

IrishLass

Latest posts

Back