Crinkle cutter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Dent

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a crinkle cutter, and keep putting it off. Do y'all like the crinkle cut soaps? Do you find that other people like them, or really don't care? Yeah, I know it's not a big investment, it's just one of those things I can't make up my mind about. I keep putting one in my online shopping cart, then taking it back out again. I guess I get a little wishy-washy sometimes. (can I say that on a soap forum?)

I have one. I've never used it..I am into swirling and find most crinkle cuts cause a distraction away from the swirls. If I were selling and doing elegant solid soaps, I may use it. It's really about your function (fancy swirls, simplicity, etc) as to whether or not it's going to be useful (imo)

I almost always use a crinkle cutter- BUT......I don't use colorants (except for cocoa powder that I might swirl for some interest) or anything in my soap and I don't sell. I just do it because it provides a nice grip for my hands in the shower!

I actually like swirling patterns with wrinkle cuts. I think it looks nice and the washboard texture seems to help when lathering, doesn't it?

There's a brand called Zum that's in grocery stores around here that does it to their soap. Their soap isn't that awesome, but I like looking at them!

I use my crinkle cutter occasionally. The washboard effect goes away quickly, and really does not provide much of a benefit to my mind. If you are on a tight soaping budget, save your money.

I have one and I use it about once in a blue moon for my soap. Even though I don't use it often with my soap, it still comes in handy for me in my cooking, such as when I make crinkle-cut carrots and such.

I personally didn't find the crinkle-cut look to interfere with or take away from the look of my swirls, and the washboard effect sure is nice for kick-starting the lather (although it only lasts for a few showers or so), but I still don't use it much because it reduces the number of bars I'm able to cut from my loaf molds (7 bars instead of 8 ).

The reason for the lesser amount of bars is because when I use the crinkle-cutter, I prep my mold beforehand with the special crinkle end-liners that I made in order that my 2 end-bars have the crinkled look on both sides instead of just one side, and they end up decreasing the over-all length of my finished loaf. Although I could still get 8 crinkled bars if I really wanted to, they would be too skinny for the likes of me (anything 1" or lower is just too thin for me).

Here's a pic of one of my favorite crinkled soaps (Green Irish Tweed). It's in the form of a faux magazine cover. It's one of the things I do when I'm bored. lol If all you see is an X, hit the refresh button.

NewSoapMag640.JPG

IrishLass :)

I bought one when I first started soaping, used it once, never since. It was one of those soap related things I thought I HAD to have.
P.S. Nice soap, IrishLass!!!

I like to crinkle cut about as often as I use a smooth cut. Just depends on my mood and the look I am going for with the soap. I tend to use it on the soaps with little or no design and for some reason on men's soaps.

Lots of good replies here, thanks.
I'll probably order one at some point. Have been putting it off for over a year, maybe next time I put together an Amazon order I'll sneak one in. I put together one of those simple log cutting guides some time ago and made the spacing for the crinkle cutter... that makes it a little sloppy for a straight blade. Just kinda "thinking out loud".
I really like that faux magazine cover IL. Too bad it's not a real magazine, I would love to read it.

Back