Creme mix

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justcallmewillie

Reaction score
Some friends have been having some wild looking itchy rashes lately and the dermatologist told them to bathe with head n shoulders shampoo. Ummmm, no thanks. I decided to have them try something. Off the top of my head I mixed:
10ml Laurel Berry Fruit Oil
10ml polysorbate 80
10ml olive oil
Dash distilled water
1tsp candelilla wax
Heated to melt wax
Stirred while cooling. Have a fluffy medium paste.
not sure if this is the way to do creme but it’s worked. I know laurel berry fruit oil in liquid soap works great but wanted to see how it worked into a creme.

Head and shoulders treats fungus so if the dr suggested it, its most likely a fungus issue.

The fungus that lives on our skin feed on oils, your cream might make things worse.

I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and face, oils make it so much worse. Even oils with fungicide properties. I do use medicated shampoo on all afflicted areas, not just my scalp.

Your friends could ask for a skin scraping then they would know 100% what is causing the rashes.

My son, who has had severe atopic dermatitis all his life, had once been advised to wash with Selsum Blue. With eczema comes many other secondary skin issues/infections. I can’t recall off the top of my head what he had (could have very well been some sort of fungus), but I don’t think your friend’s dermatologist’s advice is that crazy.

My son, who has had severe atopic dermatitis all his life, had once been advised to wash with Selsum Blue. With eczema comes many other secondary skin issues/infections. I can’t recall off the top of my head what he had (could have very well been some sort of fungus), but I don’t think your friend’s dermatologist’s advice is that crazy.
It just sounds off though don’t you think? I have read that Laurel berry fruit oil works wonders with skin issues plus ive tried it out on myself especially in LS. I did try the same creme that I made up in the post on a bad foot sore and it no longer is sore. I will provide an update in a few days as to whether this mix helped with the rash. I feel we are all flooded with strange chemicals and wanted to make an alternative. Only chemical I’ve got in that mix is PS 80

It sounds off if you’re not familiar with skin conditions. By all means, if you can come up with a natural remedy, that is awesome!! I totally encourage it.
Did you use this on a sore foot or a foot sore? Your post sort of says both.

Tinea versicolor is what my son had. It is a sort of fungus, and selsum blue is regularly recommended for treatment. I looked in his files and thought I’d share🙃 I’m all for more natural remedies….always!

It sounds off if you’re not familiar with skin conditions. By all means, if you can come up with a natural remedy, that is awesome!! I totally encourage it.
Did you use this on a sore foot or a foot sore? Your post sort of says both.
Yes, lol, sorry. A sore on the top of my foot. Weed seed got into the sock then dug into the skin. Began to get super painful so I used the mix above last night. Doesnt hurt anymore

Ok, crawling out of the rabbit hole here. My first speed bump was looking for Laurel Berry "Fruit" oil LOL. I don't know why I didn't catch it before I started to research it, but the berry is the fruit, and I guess that confused google.

With the exception of a few small businesses that sell this oil, I can't find any solid information on it. I'm not disputing you, I just cannot find anything about laurel berry oil from any of my usual sources of research.

If Mountain Rose Herbs doesn't carry it, then it pretty much doesn't exist LOL. My herbal book does not address it, neither does Culpepper. My essential oil book only has bay laurel, not the berries/fruits, and the list of uses for skin remedies for bay laurel is very short.

Afterthought: I just found it on WSP but it gives no other use than for Allepo soap

With all of that said, I guess I would just like to know where you got the idea of using it as a good oil for skin conditions and/or infections. I don't mean that tongue-in-cheek, I just really would like to know more if it is something that actually worked. Maybe it was the candelilla wax, not likely though. Slightly possibly the olive oil, but also probably not.

If the doctor told (them?) that it is an infection cause by a fungus (which is why the doctor recommended head and shoulders), I would be inclined to NOT tell them to stop the doctor's recommended treatment. If it doesn't work, then try something alternative if necessary.

The more accepted alternatives would be along the lines of lavender, tea tree, rosemary...

And I would be more inclined to make a salve or infused oil, not a creme if you were searching for a natural remedy.

Or maybe it is an ancient Syrian miracle herb that is making a comeback...but you didn't say where you got your idea to use this in your remedy, so I don't know.

Well, I’m not a doctor. I usually concoct things here and try them on myself first then if it works, I’ll give to some friends to try. The parent said the head n shoulders wasn’t working at all so I thought why not have her try some of this stuff? Couldn’t hurt.
I made some LS with laurel berry fruit oil in with it and not only did it help insect bites but it also fixed the jock itch problem plus the athletes foot problem. The chiggers and mosquito bites were so awful too thst after using the special LS, it didn’t itch anymore. Just lathered and allowed to stay on the skin a few minutes then rinsed off.
i seem to be the curious type. I’ll think of something then mix it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. An open mind helps.

The cream won't hurt (I don't think, I don't make creams or know recipes), but I would not tell them to stop the doctor's recommendations either. If it doesn't help, then he might go another route, like a prescription.

But I wouldn't tell them to change out the head and shoulders to try your concoction (your words lol)

Edit, on second thought, doing two different things might confuse the diagnosis, so I would just let them continue the shampoo for a fungus infection.

I did not tell them to stop using the shampoo. They quit using it on their own. They also cannot get in to see the doctor until January. I don’t give problem people my concoctions because those kinds of people are a PIA to mess with. I also don’t give to people who whine about everything or nitpick until I walk away. I asked they try on a small area and see if it works. If it doesn’t then so big deal. I don’t know if tea tree will help this cause that doesn’t relieve the itching. And, I don’t make creme or salves either and have no recipes. I just made it cause that’s what I had in mind. Is it the right way? No idea. I do know that it’s mildly stuff but not hard. Doesnt melt in the hot car either.
It spreads well. Not grainy. Don’t need much.

Have them try the shampoo again, make sure its the one with selenium sulfide as the active ingredient and leave it on the skin for at least 5 minutes before rinsing.
It really needs to sit in order to work well. Head & shoulders comes with different medications, some don't work as well as other. Selsun blue is another option to try, it has the right medicine.

I've found salt bars can also help with fungus, at least help keep it in check a little.

I did not tell them to stop using the shampoo. They quit using it on their own. They also cannot get in to see the doctor until January. I don’t give problem people my concoctions because those kinds of people are a PIA to mess with. I also don’t give to people who whine about everything or nitpick until I walk away. I asked they try on a small area and see if it works. If it doesn’t then so big deal. I don’t know if tea tree will help this cause that doesn’t relieve the itching. And, I don’t make creme or salves either and have no recipes. I just made it cause that’s what I had in mind. Is it the right way? No idea. I do know that it’s mildly stuff but not hard. Doesnt melt in the hot car either.
It spreads well. Not grainy. Don’t need much.
Never Never think something won't hurt. Folks think Evening Primrose Oil is magic it will send me to an emergency room. I found out after making a lotion with it I am severely allergic to Evening Primrose Oil. Allergies are not something to mess with and just because it helps you does not mean it will not hurt or help someone else. Rsapienza can also very well attest to this. I personally do quite well with Head and Shoulders and it does not bother my skin.

It just sounds off though don’t you think? I have read that Laurel berry fruit oil works wonders with skin issues plus ive tried it out on myself especially in LS. I did try the same creme that I made up in the post on a bad foot sore and it no longer is sore. I will provide an update in a few days as to whether this mix helped with the rash. I feel we are all flooded with strange chemicals and wanted to make an alternative. Only chemical I’ve got in that mix is PS 80
It’s possible that the Laurel berry oil, just like other natural plant-based additives, could cause skin sensitization, making the rash worse. Dealing with rashes gets complicated fast. If you already have the Laurel berry oil and want to try it out, I say go for it. Just be aware if the skin doesn’t feel better right away, try the shampoo! Most shampoos are made from the same ingredients as liquid soaps, so I don’t find the recommendation that strange.

It’s an itchy rash. That’s why I thought of laurel berry. I’m actually afraid of some pure essential oils aside from those we can use neat. But here, I don’t see an issue. This is kinda of how people learn, by trying something.

Latest posts

Back