Credit card processor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjhays

Reaction score
anyone use a credit card machine and the best quality place to get one woulod be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry to see you haven't gotten replies. I think it's because no one is happy with what they have and the whole credit card process costs too much. But we do it anyway, don't we? We use a knuckle buster and phone verification for shows. Cheapest way to go. Can't advise on electronic machines, tho. What kept us from considering them, other than the fact we're not big enough yet to justify one, is that electricity and phone line aren't available at a lot of venues.

Hope someone else can be more help to you.

I use a knuckle buster as well. I process them online when I get home. I use Propay online. Propay also has a machine that you can purchase, that stores all the data. When you get home you process all the data via your computer. That way you don't have any slips with people's info on them.

soapbuddy said:
I use a knuckle buster as well. I process them online when I get home. I use Propay online. Propay also has a machine that you can purchase, that stores all the data. When you get home you process all the data via your computer. That way you don't have any slips with people's info on them.

Soapbuddy, I've only done one show and didn't have anyone complain or question the knuckle buster. Have you ever had a customer balk? Our CCP rep said he'd bet that people buying soap at a fair would be pretty trusting of us...hope he continues to be right. :)

BakingNana said:
soapbuddy said:

Soapbuddy, I've only done one show and didn't have anyone complain or question the knuckle buster. Have you ever had a customer balk? Our CCP rep said he'd bet that people buying soap at a fair would be pretty trusting of us...hope he continues to be right. :)
I never had anyone balk. I did find that when I started taking CC's, I got more sales.

soapbuddy said:
BakingNana said:
soapbuddy said:

I never had anyone balk. I did find that when I started taking CC's, I got more sales.

Ya, I figured it wouldn't be very good to go to a fair and not accept CC these days. Plus, it lets someone who may have spent their cash impulse buy! ....evil laugh

BakingNana said:
soapbuddy said:
BakingNana said:
soapbuddy said:

Ya, I figured it wouldn't be very good to go to a fair and not accept CC these days. Plus, it lets someone who may have spent their cash impulse buy! ....evil laugh
I found people spent more if they knew I took credit cards.

I use propay and a lil baby knuckle buster. I love it. It's easy to use and brings increased sales.

My only complaint is my own fault, when I renewed last year I opted for the lower level. Now I have a $250/$1000 a single sale/monthly limit. This sorely cuts into my wholesale. I'll renew this year and get the higher limits.

Deda said:
I use propay and a lil baby knuckle buster. I love it. It's easy to use and brings increased sales.

My only complaint is my own fault, when I renewed last year I opted for the lower level. Now I have a $250/$1000 a single sale/monthly limit. This sorely cuts into my wholesale. I'll renew this year and get the higher limits.

Good point. Looking forward to the day that's a concern for me!

Deda said:

You live and you learn. I did the same thing. I am at the higher level now. I keep talking about switching to something faster for the busy shows I do but I never spend the money for it. Propay has been good for me.

Bruce

My merchant agreement says my limit is the projected annual income (which is ridiculously high at this point) prorated to a monthly basis, but said limit may be exceeded, and the excess will be held and disbursed to me in subsequent months up to the monthly average.

i have seen them at Sam's Club. they had a system that went with them but i am not in any shape to need or use one, so it was just a cursory glance at a "neat machine" rather than really looking it over.

Has anyone tried "square" credit card processing? Its supposed to be no contract and lower fees. Someone mentioned it to me today and I plan on looking into it.

cmd439 said:
Has anyone tried "square" credit card processing? Its supposed to be no contract and lower fees. Someone mentioned it to me today and I plan on looking into it.
I've never heard of it. Who is the actual CC processor?

soapbuddy said:
cmd439 said:

Never heard of it either. Curious to hear more.

BakingNana said:
soapbuddy said:
cmd439 said:

Never heard of it either. Curious to hear more.

https://squareup.com/

A friend told me about it. I haven't had much time to look into it, but she said she compared alot of options and this was the most reasonable she found without a lot of the problems of traditional credit card processors (like excess fees and contracts).

cmd439 said:

A friend told me about it. I haven't had much time to look into it, but she said she compared alot of options and this was the most reasonable she found without a lot of the problems of traditional credit card processors (like excess fees and contracts).
That might work for someone that has online access on their phone. My cell phone only makes phone calls.
With Propay, I don't need a merchant account, there is no set up fee, there is no monthly fee, I don't have a monthly minimum & the swipe rate between these two are about the same. I do pay once yearly (I think it's $50) and that's it.

soapbuddy said:
cmd439 said:

That might work for someone that has online access on their phone. My cell phone only makes phone calls.
With Propay, I don't need a merchant account, there is no set up fee, there is no monthly fee, I don't have a monthly minimum & the swipe rate between these two are about the same. I do pay once yearly (I think it's $50) and that's it.

I use Square and it is great if you have an iPhone. It's easy fast and you get your money quick. I switched from Propay. I do not regret it. It does take a while to get the swiper thingy but worth the wait...

cmd439 said:

I'm going to be using in starting in Feb. for my new store. Will report back about it. I have an iPhone so it seemed like the best option for right now: fair, reasonable and modern.

If you are a member of a Chamber of Commerce you can get involved with their Merchant Services member and get amazing rates. I'm a member of my chamber and my POS runs me $22/month rental of dial up machine for the store-front plus a knuckle buster. I also only pay 1.68% on Visa - 1.74% MC and 9 cents per transaction for debit cards. They offer weekend or weekly rentals if you want a 3G machine for shows, or one that stores the info and then downloads to your computer for completing your transactions.

I know with the Canadian Guild we are working on getting something similar for the membership, although I expect it will cost a little bit more....

I do love the system I have though and has increased my sales. What I find interesting in the store is that more people here use debit cards than credit cards....

Latest posts

Back