Creating a Natural "Look"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_A_Y_S

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but I've been making MP for quite some time.

First of all, I live in Northern FL, but Florida nonetheless so I understand that there will be some challenges when it comes to packaging... But I recently received an order for 600 Peppermint Vanilla MP bars, and the customer wants the bars to be packaged in a way that gives off an all natural, eco-friendly impression. What's the best way to package these MP bars to create that impression, but not sacrifice its integrity?

Last edited:
You can actually buy water soluble paper and use them for packaging, but I think it's kind of expensive.

A couple of nice soap packaging ideas I've seen that would give that impression to me:

wrapping in fabric just like it was paper (flour sack, muslin, thin cotton, something along those lines)

wrapping in thin tissue paper like you wrap presents in (I've actually done this once or twice)

Then put a band-type label on it with the ingredients list, etc.

I meant ecofriendly not biodegradable. Sorry about that.

wrapping in thin tissue paper like you wrap presents in (I've actually done this once or twice)

Then put a band-type label on it with the ingredients list, etc.

That's actually how I do it now, but the customer doesn't think that it accurately reflects that impression. It comes off it messy to them.

Well, any paper or cotton fabric would be eco-friendly, right? But plastic wrap & shrink wrap not so much, I guess. Personally, I prefer to be able to see what I am buying and you can't see through fabric or paper, even very thin tissue paper is still not see-through.

I do believe you can buy eco-friendly clear heat sealable bags that are compostable (therefore biodegradable and eco-friendly), so they would fill both needs. But again, the cost is a bit high. And how would a customer know unless you added that info to the label? 'Wrapped in compostable bag made from lactic acid'.

https://www.clearbags.com/bags/eco?...quWI-cWo6-G66CNvNsUbVz-CRMpoqq4RoCkhIQAvD_BwE

That's actually how I do it now, but the customer doesn't think that it accurately reflects that impression. It comes off it messy to them.

Interesting. I wonder how tissue paper is 'harmful to the environment' (looking at the definition of 'eco-friendly'). Oh, well. If the customer doesn't like tissue paper, then I would put together two or three alternatives that you find to be cost effective and show him/her and ask for a choice from the packaging you present as options. If they are still not satisfied, I'd probably say, sell them naked. No, I'd probably not do that either. But I'd be irritated to say the least.

How about a cigar band in a “natural” looking paper or even kraft paper, then wrapped with a piece of raffia? That would provide the natural appearance I suspect they want. Muted, softened or weathered appearing colors and an informal font would add to that impression. I saw soap once that had a wide cigar band taped with masking tape torn with uneven edges. It sounds messy but actually looked a bit funky and “grandmas attic”-ey.

Thing is that if you are making MP, you need to wrap them in some type of plastic, or they will sweat and create an ugly coating on top, specially in humid Florida.

It happens sometimes to my embeds if they have not been put in plastic for over a week. I also make a lot of MP, it does need to be wrap.

Maybe a cello bag with a piece of raffia on top as closure?

Oh and welcome :) :bunny:

Here is a good video to watch. But really listen, as she says, you always have to wrap MP in plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD4bJgtaHMg

Eco-friendly shrink wrap .... Anyone ever try this and can you tell the difference between the wrap from NON Eco-friendly bags?

Just curious. i would think anyone that sees it would think it was just regular shrink wrap

Latest posts

Back