Creating a blend of broad spectrum preservatives with natural chelating agents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuhiC

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would love to have your thoughts on different combinations of Natural preservatives to be used together as follows

1) Leucidal liquid SF Complete + Geogard 221 + Sodium Phytate
2) Leucidal Liquid SF Complete + Dermosoft Eco 1388 + Sodium Phytate
3) Leucidal Liquid SF Complete + Sharomix 705 + Potassium Sorbate + Sodium Phytate
There are different cheating agents like Glyceryl Caprylate, Gluconolactone etc but since I have the availability of sodium phytate I will be using that.
Guys I am very new into this but wanted to have a good grip on education. I searched the entire net from past 4-5 days to get the broad spectrum blend information but apart from School of Natural Skincare no one has really mentioned about it apart from over here when someone asked about mixing Leucidal Liquid with aspen bark which is a good option but due AHA content in the final formulation can be irritating.
I would love to have your thoughts about it I also did a general search on few brands using mostly a combination of Geogard ECT with Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate +Potassium Sorbate + Sodium phytate.

What are you hoping to preserve? It's difficult to provide information in a general sense as a lot of times the intended use and formula play a part in which preservative or combination of should be used.

Hi Amd I want to make lotions, creams, Moisturizer, shampoos and conditioners (leave in and rinse off) and yes I get your point on the formula but is it safe to combine blends safely do we have some kind of format to see different blends can be used together. Infact I saw many people blending phenoxyethanol too as a preservative booster but as a preference I would not. So in a total fix, the only ultimate is either I do an expensive course from School of Natural Skincare or others like them....

It is generally OK to combine preservatives to ensure complete broad spectrum activity. Just ensure you don't exceed the maximum limit for each individual component. You also need to pay attention to the pH of your product as many of the preservatives are inactive above pH 6.

This website gives information on the activity against gram positive bacteria, gram negative bacteria and fungi for each preservative.

https://makingskincare.com/preservatives/
Leucidal is generally a poor preservative so I would probably avoid it all together and save your money.

Geogard 221 + sodium phytate + sodium benzoate (or potassium sorbate) might be a good option for lotions and creams.

Geogard ECT + sodium phytate + sodium benzoate might be be a good option for shampoos.

If you are planning to sell you will need to get your products tested for preservative efficacy.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks a ton @justjacqui for your input. I already made a beautiful conditioner with few botanicals and used Leucidal SF Complete which is a mixture of coco Nucifera and lactobacillus ferment it’s really very new I guess so and you can check out this website High-Performance, Luxury Artisan Skincare | Okoko Cosmétiques beautiful formulations with some having this preservative alongwith Potassium Sorbate also on Etsy TaraLee has used this preservative with Euxyl 9010 along with Sodium Phytate which I am not so in for Euxyl 9010 and the shelf life she recommended is 9 months which is pretty good for a natural product coz I believe natural products would go bad it’s their “very nature” which makes them potent aka medicine or else the same thing can turn into poison (allergies etc)after a prolonged shelf life which defeats the purpose of being natural in the first place if preserved with nasty preservatives. But I am so glad to have your interest in this subject thanks thanks a ton🙂

Latest posts

Back