Create a Batch - Help Now!

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Feb 23, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Feb 25, 2019 #61

mulline

mulline

mulline

I love it, use it all the time.
    I¨m Danish and some of my Danish co soapers would love if it had a language packs to convert it to another lang.

KimT2au likes this.
  2. Feb 26, 2019 #62

Braeuni

Braeuni

Braeuni

thanks for asking me. I am new here and I love all the ideas above. Not sure if this was already mentioned: a list of Ingredients below each recipe incl. INCI would be great.

Ghost_Wytch and artemis like this.
  3. Feb 26, 2019 #63

Amaress

Amaress

Amaress

I’d like to know how many more batches of a recipe I can make with the stock I have left too.

SaltedFig, Ghost_Wytch and artemis like this.
  4. Feb 26, 2019 #64

Renee Peterson

Renee Peterson

Renee Peterson

Then basic info- recipe, the technique used, additives, fragrances with notes on peculiarities of fragrances, bar size, total pounds of the recipe

5. Feb 26, 2019 #65

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

Has anyone mentioned being able to split a batch or use two batches for one soap? Like I have a batch of soap that I use an oil infusion for one color and then swirl it into another batch of the same base recipe without the colorant but I want to have the one batch together and not as two separate recipes. That’s a bit much I know.

6. Feb 26, 2019 #66

Jstheidi

Jstheidi

Jstheidi

Supporting Member

I agree with cm4bleenmb.11997. Also maybe a spot for what company the fragrance came from. I’ve bought so many of the same type fragrance from different companies and I get different results from each one. I can’t remember which “Love Spell” scent I used 3 months ago in that bar that still smells HEAVENLY. I wished I would have made notes at the time so I could buy from “that company” again. I’m still learning to make my own notes but never know WHICH notes are going to be needed later?

Amaress, Ghost_Wytch and artemis like this.
  7. Feb 26, 2019 #67

LaToya

LaToya

LaToya

Thanks so much for including me. I am pretty simple and I think I agree with what most have already put down but here's my top 3.

1. Fragrance- company detail specific
    2. Behavior Issues that may be popular with the fragrance chosen
    3. Cure completion estimate

8. Feb 26, 2019 #68

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

Supporting Member

Adding individual notes (not just one big block of text, adding a record as needed) with the ability to categorize and sort/order by date would probably cover a lot of the suggestions mentioned.

Including a Cure Time and an indicator that quickly shows if a batch has cured or not.

Being able to enter the number of bars a batch makes and show the cost breakdown of each bar and the whole batch. Ability to add a fixed cost per bar and per batch for users to factor in packaging, rent, labor, etc.

An option to export batch data to Excel or JSON would be amazing. I'm writing my own ecommerce site and may end up with my own customized calculator just to help manage inventory. Being able to do a quick import would be amazing and save me a lot of time. I'd imagine a lot of people also keep track of soap data in Excel and being able to easily copy it over would help them.

Going along with that, having a field for SKU or other pieces of information that might be used with Etsy/Shopify, or payment processors.

Ghost_Wytch likes this.
  9. Feb 26, 2019 #69

Maaki

Maaki

Maaki

I think its going to be good to have the input in both International System and Imperial System units. Will make tracking and conversions much easier.

10. Feb 26, 2019 #70

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

Thanks for the PM and including me. Sorry I'm a bit late. After reading through the thread, there doesn't seem to be much that I can add. So much awesome info has already been suggested. In the end, this is going to be a killer app. Kudos and respect to those that are working on it.
    I do have a question through. Is this going to be for soap only? Or will it be functional for other bath & body items such as lotions, scrubs, etc.?

11. Feb 26, 2019 #71

Baqn

Baqn

Baqn

Effect of essential oils, colorants, additives on tracing. Essential oils combinations. Combined data for essential oils, oils, colorants and additives.
    Statistics for people's mistakes.
    Yes I want to track techniques.
    Information about batch is private and everybody shall decide what to share.

12. Feb 26, 2019 #72

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

I agree with the concept of the recipe being set to private by default, and public by choice.
    (There's no point clogging up the public recipes with everyone's trial soaps, or new soapers explorations, or a gazillion "trinity" soaps ...)

If the soap recipe was made public only by choice, then the sharing would be a deliberate choice, by the recipe creator, to showcase their recipe.

13. Feb 27, 2019 #73

Jstheidi

Jstheidi

Jstheidi

Supporting Member

I had another thought? I would love to be able to upload a couple of pictures of the soap after it’s made to add to the file of ingredients. That would help me tremendously especially since I try lots of different recipes and even though I try to write notes of each color, after 6 months I forgot which soaps went with whatever file I printed and put in my notebook. I also keep digital file online but I’m still old school and love paper “back up” in case my computer goes down.

14. Feb 27, 2019 #74

kfclaire8389

kfclaire8389

kfclaire8389

Date, batch#, recipe name, additives, wt., %, how many bars cut, cure date, note/issues (lather, moisturizing, etc.)/time spent/photo

15. Feb 27, 2019 #75

Nanette

Nanette

Nanette

All the data already listed sounds excellent. I would like a feature that allows for going back to comment on how a color or fragrance, eo performed in the soap--and how long it lasted. Also cost of batch...

16. Feb 27, 2019 #76

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

I must have missed something. Is this going to be a publicly visible app? Something where the public can see all the information that the user inputs? I guess I must have assumed it was something that could be downloaded. I think I need to go back and read the info on it again. :oops:

17. Feb 27, 2019 #77

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

Soapmaking Friend (recipe builder) is here:
    https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/soap-making-recipe-builder-lye-calculator/

Ghost_Wytch, If you are just generally using the recipe builder (not logged in), then any recipe you create is not saved - you can load from the recipe library or make an entirely new recipe, adjust the recipe and print it for use, but at the end it is not saved anywhere (and so, is not visible to anyone).

If you create an account and use that to save recipes, there is an option (a toggle on/off) down near notes, that allows your saved recipe to be private or public.

Your inputs are not visible unless you choose to save your recipe AND you have the privacy toggle "Recipe is public?" turned on.

Currently the default setting for the public/private recipe toggle is set to public, so this small detail in the bigger discussion is whether that toggle should default to private, rather than public.

Either way, you control how visible your recipe is.
    Toggle "Recipe is Public?" to off, and your recipe is not visible to anyone but yourself :)
    Toggle "Recipe is Public?" to on, and you make your recipe available to other soapmakers :)

hungryhawaiian likes this.
  18. Feb 27, 2019 #78

Tabitha.b89

Tabitha.b89

Tabitha.b89

Thank you for including me. Although I am a new soapmaker(under a year), and I don’t sell, most of the things that I feel are missing have already been mentioned.
    Batch name
    Batch number/date
    Cure date/estimate
    Ingredients information; lot numbers, brands, expiration dates
    Soaping temp

Maybe expected shelf life of each soap batch, according to closest oil expiration?

How your batter acted
    How scents held up
    Lather
    Maybe just add some of those as suggestions in the notes section, but not necessarily make lines for each. Just to get people thinking about what to annotate.

Weight of bars before and after curing
    Trace consistency?

I love how you set it up where you have to go down the list and answer/input each item for the section vertically, and not all over the place like some other ones. It makes it so you’re much less likely to overlook something.

I do agree that the default setting should be private, with the option to toggle to public.

You guys are onto a great thing! And thank you so much for putting in the hard work, AND asking for opinions! It’s a great soapy community building opportunity!
    :thumbs:

Admin likes this.
  19. Feb 27, 2019 #79

Maaki

Maaki

Maaki

I just had another thought. im not sure if this has been said before but it would be cool if a public recipe can be rated in an airbnb type of way. lets say a 5star system that rates certain categories such as lather, skin feel, fragrance, hardness, etc. this would all be sibjective of course but i guess thats what soapmaking is all about right? then we could be able to share and improve on the best of the best recipes.

Admin likes this.
  20. Feb 27, 2019 #80

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

Thank you SaltedFig. It makes sense now. I've used the recipe builder several times now. But somehow I failed to see that option. I must have failed to login when using it.

Admin and SaltedFig like this.