Create a Batch - Help Now!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydene soapy

Reaction score
Thank you for asking me. I am new to soap making however I do plan to start selling next year. Lots of practice time. So I would like to see
Batch made date, cure and expiry date
Cost and profit of batch and bars
Cost of ingredients and expiry dates
All of the above
I used your soap cal all the time I find it so eady to use and also very informative.
Thank you for all your hard work.

Guinevere

Reaction score
Cast of batch vs. profit margin
Ingredient tracking
Recipe results
Resizing option
Oil alternatives/ How much to add

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
While I use my oils by weight, I buy them by volume.

Oil purchases currently only allow weight (pounds, ounces, grams or kilograms) for the unit of measurement.

soapmaker

Soapmaker
Reaction score
a way to track the cost of a bar, and a way to track inventory of raw materials and items already made
a procedure spot, temps
to be able to go back in at different times and add how the fragrance has held, if the color faded, if it was a good seller etc.
product source
design technique
additives

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is not a thing I'd like to track, but a thing I'd like to be able to do regarding batches.

I used to use the Bramble Berry calc app on my phone. You could do batches on that and I often did. I liked it pretty well, except for one thing: to find a particular batch, I would have to remember which recipe I had used, as the batches were stored by recipe name.

So, I would like to see some kind of search tool that would let me search my batches. If I have a lilac-scented pink soap with blue confetti on the rack and can't remember which base recipe I used, I want to be able to search my batches for "pink" or "confetti" or "lilac" or whatever to find the right batch.

Did that all make sense?

Ravens Craig Apothecary

Reaction score
Maybe a place to note if substitutions were made? I sometimes have people approach me who are allergic to coconut oil. Other than that I feel everyone has everything covered. thanks for the inclusion.

Candybee

Reaction score
not sure this was mentioned yet but I would like to be able to change from ounces to grams and back again. I use both weights when weighing out different small ingredients.

Nanette

Reaction score
We now have the inventory portion done and the final step will be 'Creating a Batch' from your recipes so you can determine cost of a batch, allocate your inventory, track sales of a batch, upload photos of each batch, etc.

What features do you want to see when you "Create a Batch"?

• What data do you want to track?
  • What statistics do you want to see?
  • Do you want to track certain procedures/techniques with each batch?
  • Besides photos, what other information do you want to attach to a batch?
I like everything I've seen from other soapers contributions...!

Temple Earth Soaps

Reaction score
I think these are all wonderful ideas and it would immensely helpful to have them in one template.
Maybe also a place for colorants/pigment/mica (dispersants used, measurement quantities). For instance, madder root can be dissolved in water (like a tea) whereas alkanet root can be made using an oil infusion. I think that could be helpful

shella

Reaction score
All above messages are what I am interested in.
Thanks for giving me an opportunity to have my say.

SoapySuds

The Suds Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you pay for storage, ie rent or property taxes, take the square footage that you use for all soap making and storing. Calculate how much per month for all utilities and rent or taxes. (water, garbage, electricity, propane, etc) Divide that by the total amount of sq feet you are renting or own. You now have a price point per square foot for storage space and work space.

If you use your work space (kitchen) some of the time, divide further your square footage per month by the number of hours in a month. Now multiply that number by the square footage of your workspace or kitchen. Now you have the 'rent' per hour.

Calculate the number of hours you spend making soap per month and that's the number you multiply by your rent per hour and you will have the rent per month.

Give yourself an hourly wage. Are you an expert? Journeyman soaper? Do you only want to give yourself minimum wage? Keep track of the time it takes you to make, prepare, research, order, soap making duties. Multiply your 'wage' by your hours per month. These are your 'wages' for the month.

Count the number of bars you made for the month.

Take all of your shipping costs, your 'rent', and wages and add them together. This number represents your overhead for making soap regardless as to the kind of soap it is.

Divide your overhead by the number of bars.

This is the base amount per bar, regardless of type of bar (oils, scents, etc) that it costs in rent, wage, shipping of supplies, etc. Before you even make your bar, it may cost you something like 2.00 just in time and rent alone, per bar, depending upon what you pay in property taxes or rent.

For each individual bar concerning the oils used and what you paid for those oils, sounds like that's already being calculated out in what they're doing.

Huh. Math is important. Story problems are important to learn.

Rogue-Soaper

Reaction score
I don't sell my soaps either; but things I like to keep track of is what temperature I soaped at, the technique and colors used, whether it went through the gel stage, which mold used, time in the mold before cutting, and how the fragrance holds up and smells after saponification. Pictures would be great.

AWD

Reaction score
>total cost of all ingredients used in production (lye, distilled water, oil, essential oil, fragrance, herbs) plus the per ounce cost of each ingredient.
>how many ounces of soap produced in a batch and how many bars (with size specification) that particular batch created
>whether or not cold process or hot process is recommended for a particular recipe
>whether or not it would be best to gel or not gel a particular recipe
>recommended wholesale price per bar (based on calculations above)
>recommended retail price per bar (based on wholesale calculations)
>the correct names of ingredients that should be included on the label for a particular recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts