Cream soap from soap scraps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

In an FB group a month ago someone mentioned that they make cream soap from soap scraps. I asked how this was done and never received a response. I did some Google machine search and came up with zip zilch and zada. The closest to an answer was a comment lsg made in a soap scraps thread. Any help for the process, including quantities would be appreciated!

I've made 16 lbs of confetti soap and still have 4lbs of shreds to use up!

Bar soap scraps will give you snotty liquid or cream soap. It just is what it is. I just made a big (8 lbs) bunch of soap with confetti. I will make rebatch with the remainder and give it to the shelter.

I think a cream soap (or possibly shave soap) could be made by melting NaOH soap and blending it with a suitable KOH soap. You'd probably want to use a proportion of about 1 part NaOH soap to 4-5 parts KOH soap to mimic a decent cream or shave soap recipe. That might be outside the scope of what you want to do. (It would be for me -- four pounds of soap shreds would make far more cream soap than I'd ever need!)

But if you want a cream soap from just the NaOH soap scraps -- I'm with Susie on this. An all-NaOH soap won't make a reliably nice cream soap or liquid soap. It might have a good texture and consistency at first, but over time it will want to get stringy/snotty or re-solidify. It's just the nature of sodium soap to be solid.

Rene's recipe also includes water and a couple of other ingredients. I cannot give you any more info as that would be unethical. This is the easiest cream soap that I have ever made and it is a great way to use up those scraps.

"...liquid soap and stearic acid with the cp soap scraps ... water and a couple of other ingredients..."

The liquid soap is the source of KOH soap, the stearic acid is the typical thickener (supercream) in cream soap, and water softens the CP scraps and makes the cream soap mixture softer.

And I'd guess there might be some added glycerin (the other typical supercream ingredient) and possibly a bit of extra superfat. Just guessin'.

Thank you ladies! I knew from the description in the FB post that it wasn't as easy as melting scraps and whipping them. I figured there would expect a second soap process, I just couldn't find it. Thanks LSG for posting the link - I'll start there and back track to what I don't know. I suspect I will be reading a lot of the LS topic threads on here! And probably asking dumb questions and making y'all wish I had never broadened my wings from CP. Lol

In an FB group a month ago someone mentioned that they make cream soap from soap scraps. I asked how this was done and never received a response. I did some Google machine search and came up with zip zilch and zada. The closest to an answer was a comment lsg made in a soap scraps thread. Any help for the process, including quantities would be appreciated!

I've made 16 lbs of confetti soap and still have 4lbs of shreds to use up!

Shred a soap with high palmitic ( over 14% ) it makes better cream soap. Ill tell you the recipe for 100 grams of shredded soap.

100 grams of shredded soap ( already cured 4-5 weeks)
150 Grams of distilled water, hydrosol, or aloe ect…
Melt these in a double boiler. Now once all melted, add
15 grams of Shea butter melted
15 grams of vegetable glycerin mix well
(optional, I add 1% stearic acid or 3 grams melted in the vegetable glycerin)
Let it cool down, or I just waited till the next day, took the melted soap, and put it in the mixer THEN added the Shea and Glycerin stearic acid at that time.
Add 10 Grams of coconut/goat milk powder and 3 grams of Fragrance if you choose to do this and a MUST is 1% of preservative, then whip it up to your desired consistency.

This is not my recipe - but I have made it and its a good one. bu you need a high palmitic number as I mentioned.

Thanks, Redhead. This recipe sounds like a high superfat rebatch. Some reading on liquid soap leads me to believe that a low superfat is better. I believe the NaOH and KOH combined processes will lead better results. Good thing I have 4lbs of scraps to play with!

Rene's recipe also includes water and a couple of other ingredients. I cannot give you any more info as that would be unethical. This is the easiest cream soap that I have ever made and it is a great way to use up those scraps.

...and you have just been sitting on that information for how long? Not that I want you to share a recipe that is not yours, but you could have pointed us in that direction long ago!:mrgreen:

Uh, Susie, I'll stand up for lsg -- she has mentioned this in cream soap threads that go back a few years. One has to pay for the recipe, however, which is why the recipe is not being shared outright.

I'm not one for beating around the bush either, so that's why I made some educated guesses in this thread (the lightbulb finally went on) about the components of the recipe. If I'm reading things right, she has been encouraging about the direction my guesses are going.

edit:

Redhead -- I realize I'm going to cast doubt on your recipe, and I apologize for that.

It doesn't have any KOH soap in it, so I question whether this is going to produce a cream soap that is going to stay creamy over the long haul. The KOH in "real" cream soap recipes is used because it makes potassium soap that doesn't want to form a solid crystalline structure. And cream soap recipes are MOSTLY potassium (K) soap with a dab of sodium (Na) soap -- the typical proportion of alkalis in a cream soap recipe is 15 to 20% NaOH with the balance KOH.

As long as there's only (or mostly) sodium (Na) soap and little or no potassium (K) soap in a product, I can't see how this is going to stay at the desired "cream soap" texture over time. Every time I've tried something like that, it never stays nicely creamy and loose.

The stearic acid is a thickener. The glycerin, milk, fat, and water will loosen the consistency, at least for awhile. But nothing to change the soap itself from behaving like a 100% sodium soap.

Last edited:
Redhead -- I realize I'm going to cast doubt on your recipe, and I apologize for that.

It doesn't have any KOH soap in it, so I question whether this is going to produce a cream soap that is going to stay creamy over the long haul. The KOH in "real" cream soap recipes is used because it makes potassium soap that doesn't want to form a solid crystalline structure. And cream soap recipes are MOSTLY potassium (K) soap with a dab of sodium (Na) soap -- the typical proportion of alkalis in a cream soap recipe is 15 to 20% NaOH with the balance KOH.

As long as there's only (or mostly) sodium (Na) soap and little or no potassium (K) soap in a product, I can't see how this is going to stay at the desired "cream soap" texture over time. Every time I've tried something like that, it never stays nicely creamy and loose.

The stearic acid is a thickener. The glycerin, milk, fat, and water will loosen the consistency, at least for awhile. But nothing to change the soap itself from behaving like a 100% sodium soap.

DeAnna - I never have any issue with you critiquing anything! It is not my recipe. But It was the first time I had ever made a cream soap. To me it was good. It was for my own personal use and that of my daughter in laws. If I had made another recipe with KOH I may have known the difference but never have. But.. now that you mention it - I think Ill try it to see the difference. Thanks as always for your input!

Signing up for the tutorial that LSG suggested is not as easy as I thought it would be. So, I'm going to do some playing on my own based on DeeAnna's advice and what information I can glean from cream and liquid soap threads on here. And because experiments are a great stress relief from packing, wedding planning, and any (all) of my other 3 jobs, I'm not afraid to fail forward.

So I've read Lindy's cream soap tutorial thread, to get a handle on the terminology and the science of it. Is there a "must read" Liquid Soap thread(s)? The closest I have done to a cream soap is SongWind's shaving soap (and I have read that thread in it's entirety as well) which I used as a starting point for my own shave soap recipe. I have never done anything close to a liquid soap - unless you count melting bar soap and water into liquid snot back before I learned how to make soap.

If I have questions regarding the process, should I post them here or on the thread that I'm reading... or start a new thread? I always get nervous about posting on threads that have been around a long time.

Is there a "must read" Liquid Soap thread(s)?

The best one I can find is this one:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46114

Don't follow the original recipe, though. Start with IrishLass' post in #8. Then go on reading from there. I know it is long, but it is loaded with info. I use IrishLass' recipe with slight modifications for all of my hand soap. It is awesome. I understand that it was adopted from 3bees1flower (Carrie), so I am giving her props as indicated. But IrishLass brought it to us, so it will be her recipe forever in my mind.

I've been tinkering a bit with the cold process liquid soap recipe (I think you posted the tutorial, Susie) and I'm going to try some experiments using that this weekend. I have the thread above flagged for reading, but that also won't happen until this weekend. I'm not entirely sure what to expect from cream soap (other than I bought some from a soaper a year ago and I'll use that as a sort of reference) so I will also be making Lindy's cream soap as well.

Back