Cream of the crop... or the coconut.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
So I'm looking to experiment with adding coconut cream to my next batch to see what it brings to the table (or shower, as the case may be). I experimented with CO milk on a couple of batches and wasn't wowed by it. I replaced some of the water for the lye but added the milk to the oil right at emulsification. So, let's say the recipe called for 9 oz. of water, I used 5 oz water and 4 oz. CO milk.
Now I'm looking to play with CO cream and I'm not quite sure of a couple of things:

*Does the oil in the cream act as standard CO oil and will it get saponified and therefore adding to the cleansing property/value?

*I use 100% aloe vera juice and do not want to replace any of that with the CO cream... so how and when would I add it to the mix?

*Will using CO cream up the SF value thus allowing me to drop the SF value when preparing the recipe in Soapcalc?

My gears are turning and my hands are itching and I swear, if I had some new FO's I'd run out to the 24 hour Walmart and get some CO cream and work on this now (It's 11:40p here)!!

Thanks for any and all answers.

As far as I know, you should not replace any of the coconut oil with coconut cream. Use coconut cream as part or all of your liquid, I recommend freezing it first. If you want to use both coconut cream and aloe vera juice in you recipe, then you need to substitute aloe vera juice as part of the liquid, thus replacing part of the coconut cream with aloe vera juice. As far as superfat, when I use cow's cream in a recipe, I leave the superfat at 5% and it makes great soap.

Latest posts

Back