Crayolas to color CP/HP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
STAR DATE: 7/24/12
I have used CRAYOLAs to color CP/HP soap. They not only add color, but seem to add hardness and lather as well (that part could be just my imagination. :D Cerulean Blue is gorgeous and my personal favorite! They create awesome jewel tones in transparent soap.

- Use a whole (3”) Crayola in 3# batch of oils; or 1” ppo.
- Toss in at trace in CP or at the end of the cook in HP.
- Melts easily. Let set on top of the batter a minute before stirring in.
- Some colors work better than others. See Miller’s site for details. (Scroll down 2/3rds of the page)

http://millersoap.com/soapingred.html

MORE INFO

1) I use only CRAYOLA Crayons. According to Smith-Binney, the manufacturer, Crayolas are certified non-toxic to assure the products contain no known toxic or harmful substances in sufficient quantities to be injurious to the human body, even if ingested. To my mind, and with all due respect to those who would disagree, this is just me -- if they’re safe enough for toddlers to chew on, they’re safe enough to soap with.

2) The best time to buy them is the month or so before school starts. I get the 24-count box of the Original colors. I picked up a dozen boxes for 25¢ each at an Office Depot BACK-TO-SCHOOL SALE last year.

3) Label Ingredients: Paraffin wax, stearic acid and powder color pigment.
Each of those ingredients is GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) and they are found in any number of B & B products.

4) Usage Rate: 1” per pound of oils. Be sure to peel off the wrapper! LOL

5) Grate really fine to mix colors.

6) How to Use - (Do this before you start the recipe.) For 1 pound of CP/HP: Pour 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a small microwave safe dish. Add 1” of Crayola (whole, pieces, or grated). Nuke on high in the microwave for 20 seconds. Let sit for a minute or so, then mix thoroughly. Warm again if necessary. Add at trace (CP) or after cook (HP).

NOTE: If you only need a teaspoon or so for a small batch, the rest solidifies, keeps well, and easily melts again for another time. (I like to do this with White Crayola for my Wannabe White soaps).

@Zany_in_CO do you have any soap lying around that used Crayolas for color? I'm curious to see...

Interesting why some don't work.. Makes me wonder what's in the ones that do.

On a side note, I've seen loads of DIY lip balms and lipsticks that used Crayolas and wondered if it'll color soap too.

I’ll just note that crayons are probably cheaper after school starts when the stores ar trying to get rid of everything and move onto ththe next “holiday” item.

$0.25 is a good price but if you can get better that’s all gravy.

Yes.
Star Date 27/2/19 ( wow - that's nine years in the future from when you wrote your post, yet only seconds have passed!)
Hahaha. "STAR DATE" comes from posting on another forum, where I was known as an outed closet Trekkie. Fun place to hang out and talk soap. Sadly, it's now defunct.
...do you have any soap lying around that used Crayolas for color?
I'm sorry, I don't :( but, why not try the Cerulean Blue Crayola and post a pic for all to see -- in your spare time, of course. :D
On a side note, I've seen loads of DIY lip balms and lipsticks that used Crayolas and wondered if it'll color soap too.
Interesting. So now you know, Dawni. Thanks for mentioning it. I'd forgotten that little trick. It only takes a sliver to color lip balm.

Lol I'll ask someone if they have that blue.. It's been a while since anyone used Crayolas in this house lol

And I will.. I so want a blue soap. It's my favorite color.

Most likely the type of wax used for the crayons. They all use a specialized pressed wax. I would assume Crayola crayons are made with a higher quality wax, than say a crayon made from Rose Art or the like. The colorants probably have something to do with it as well. They are all made with some sort of pigments, which we all know some are pH stable, and some are not.

Myself personally, soap colorants are so readily available, and for the most part so inexpensive, and have such a wide variety of shades, are known to be pH stable, etc., I don't know why anyone would even want to use crayons to color their soap.
I'd color with eye shadow before using a crayon, but maybe that's just me.

I am not sure if Health Canada allows crayons to be added to soap when you sell. I'm going to have to check that out!
I would assume for selling you would need to know the ingredients in the crayon, and I would also assume that is probably proprietary information from the crayon makers.
But all of that is a guess...

Most likely the type of wax used for the crayons. They all use a specialized pressed wax. I would assume Crayola crayons are made with a higher quality wax, than say a crayon made from Rose Art or the like. The colorants probably have something to do with it as well. They are all made with some sort of pigments, which we all know some are pH stable, and some are not.

Myself personally, soap colorants are so readily available, and for the most part so inexpensive, and have such a wide variety of shades, are known to be pH stable, etc., I don't know why anyone would even want to use crayons to color their soap.
I'd color with eye shadow before using a crayon, but maybe that's just me.
Oooh - eye shadow you say? *Digs around in back of drawers for old eyeshadows never used*

@Zany_in_CO - Live long and prosper.

Oooh - eye shadow you say? *Digs around in back of drawers for old eyeshadows never used*

@Zany_in_CO - Live long and prosper.
Eye shadow is skin safe, and is made out of mostly micas, so why not? The only problem I can see with the eye shadow is not knowing if the color is pH stable, and having enough to color a large batch.

IMO that's better than putting the unknown if it is or isn't skin safe wax/colorants in crayons in soap and hoping for the best, no matter how little of it is being used.

While they haven't got a specific warning about reacting their crayons with caustic, this is worth a look:

Crayola's take on using their crayons in cosmetics:
https://www.crayola.com/faq/safetymsds/is-it-safe-to-use-crayola-crayons-to-make-lipstick/

@Dawni, there are some pigment makers in the Philippines - if you look for an ultramarine synthetic, you might get the blue that you are after :)
(The trouble with using crayons, aside from any issues already raised, is that the colour is always going to be diluted by the wax of the crayon.)

There's some sellers too - this ultramarine is listed as soap and cosmetic (except for lips) safe:
https://www.craftology.ph/products/ultramarine-blue?variant=28180440449

I would assume for selling you would need to know the ingredients in the crayon, and I would also assume that is probably proprietary information from the crayon makers.
But all of that is a guess...
Janel, the info is in Post #1
3) Label Ingredients: Paraffin wax, stearic acid and powder color pigment. Each of those ingredients is GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) and they are found in any number of B & B products.
I corresponded with Binney & Smith, the manufacturer of Crayolas, early in my experimental phase. They said the reason their Crayolas aren't certified for use in soap making is because that's not their intended use and it would be expensive to have them approved by the FDA for that purpose.

@Zany_in_CO do you have any soap lying around that used Crayolas for color? I'm curious to see...

Attachments

• 20190227_115308.jpg
    20190227_115308.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 68
Just make sure it's the kind that's mostly micas. I tried it once in the very beginning and got absolutely nothing lol

@Dawni, there are some pigment makers in the Philippines - if you look for an ultramarine synthetic, you might get the blue that you are after :)

There's some sellers too - this ultramarine is listed as soap and cosmetic (except for lips) safe:
https://www.craftology.ph/products/ultramarine-blue?variant=28180440449
Ah yes, I forgot about that site. I remember I got put off because their carrier oils were expensive. I should re-check again, and some others, too. I have never felt the strong urge to shell out cash for micas, oxides, etc. because it's added expense I don't really need, just want. Thank you!

Back