Craft shows & introversion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is so nice to hear that I'm not alone in my social awkwardness/people hating/just leave me alone ways! It is helpful beyond words to know that there are people out there like me who do shows all the time...and live! lol. I will keep signing up and moving forward and dragging my extrovert husband with me :)
BTW Pamielynn, Im right there with you with the gesticulating...in fact at the show my hands were flying around so much I knocked my chalkboard over! I had to keep telling myself "hands in pockets!" when I felt I was getting a little too grandiose with my hand waving :p LOL

BTW Pamielynn, Im right there with you with the gesticulating...in fact at the show my hands were flying around so much I knocked my chalkboard over! I had to keep telling myself "hands in pockets!" when I felt I was getting a little too grandiose with my hand waving :p LOL

I am giggling my butt off because I have knocked my "price sign" over so many times by whacking it with my hand! Good thing we don't set up together or we'd knock each other out :)

You have received great advice! I'm not an introvert, but I have to be careful not to scare away potential customers, because I love to talk to everyone. Just remember many people coming up to your table are introverted, and some may be even more uncomfortable than you talking to strangers. Keep your hubby close by, and have him able to answer questions. I really do believe that you can fake it till you make it, just stay calm.

I second all the great advice being given! I'm also an introvert. I've always been frustrated by and painfully aware of my introversion and shyness, so I've become decent at pushing the extroversion button when I need to. The biggest thing is being aware of how your personality reacts to doing a craft fair or show (which it sounds like you are) and how you recoup afterwards (which it sounds like you're also aware of). I usually just make sure I'm well-fed and well-nourished before a show (it's amazing what food can do to help your energy) and make sure I have lunch and/or snacks and COFFEE (but not too much, because it can mess with your nerves) to keep me sustained throughout the day. Hope that helps :)

I saw a phrase recently that stuck in my head. I can't remember the context or even if it was on this forum, but the person said "What are they going to do...cook me and eat me?"
I LOVE this!!
I'm presenting my product line to the board of directors for the French Market in New Orleans next week with very little hope of approval for my soap since they placed a moratorium on soap vendors last month, but hopefully I'll be approved for some of my other stuff. I'm still 'allowed' to present my soaps since my application was approved before they made the decison that they already had enough soap vendors, but I've been given fair warning that they won't be accepted.
So while I was getting my stuff together tonight, my husband noticed that I was bringing some of my soaps and questioned why I was setting myself up for rejection.
Me: "What are they going to do...cook me and eat me?" Worst case scenario is that they won't approve it, BUT I won't know if I don't try!
What a handy phrase to put things into perspective :)

I just got through my first show as well, and yes, I'm a big time introvert. Most people are surprised by that statement because I don't appear to be so, but it's because I work very hard to be better then my antisocial self I also married into a big family, so I needed to rise to the occasion. My first show went very well, but I have to admit I have a secret weapon: my husband has been a high level, professional salesman for 20 years now. He is always getting calls from head hunters. He gives me loads of advice which I use. More importantly though, when I got out there to sell for the first time I realized I had a decision to make- how much do I really want to sell my soap? Was I willing to set aside my natural introvertedness and put myself out there and engage with people on that level? I really wanted to and so I did. I got out in front of my booth and greeted and asked if they'd like to try my lotion bars or look at my soap. I gave sales pitch after sales pitch. I spent several half hour sessions with people, but were usually rewarded with a large sale. It's not comfortable at all, believe me- I know! I also paid attention to learning my demographic so I could target those people. After 3 days it became a lot more comfortable for me ( even though my fight or flight instinct was on level high ) . I took a much needed break when the show was done. I don't know if I'll ever lose the anxiety, but I know I'll push myself through. Hang in there and best of luck!
Anna Marie

I tend to be on the shy side, and was very worried about doing my first craft fair. First, I wondered about the other vendors, would they be "clickey", having done this before, and see me as an interloper on their territory? I found this to be the farthest thing from the truth. I've found them instead to be extremely welcoming and friendly, a sister/brotherhood of crafters, who have a lot in common. That helped.

Then there were the customers. I would NEVER EVER be able to go up to someone to sell them my product. It's just not in me. But at a craft fair, they come to me! For me, that's a critical difference. They already are interested in what I have to sell. Now, although I may be shy, I can talk about soap for days! lol So when the conversation is about soap or soapmaking, I'm very comfortable. Also, I find that knowing how good your product is, having confidence in that fact, makes it easier to sell. If I had any doubts about what I make, I know that make me feel less confident in selling it. So if you know you make great soap, that should help, too.

As far as worrying about other soapers at the fairs you do, that's not your worry. It's up to the craft fair organizers to limit the number of duplicate vendors that they allow. As a soapmaker, I welcome competition. I think it keeps us on our toes. There will most likely always be multiple soapmakers at any given craft fair, (unless it's a very small one). It's just a fact of life.

Pretty much, doing craft fairs is like anything else.......the more you do, the easier it gets. Who knows, you might even find yourself looking forward to doing them before long! Best of luck to you.

Latest posts

Back