Craft sales THIS year

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A monthly market I have attended for years finally opened up and I made the decision to turn down going as much as I wanted too, after finding out I have a heart problem I did not know about (LBBB). Next Thursday I have to go in for an Angiogram which really kinda blindsided me, to find out if there is another problem so I have decided not to push my luck. When I now know I have one problem and hoping I do not have an additional problem. My doc also informed me I have had a heart attack at some time but he cannot tell me when it was. That I did suspect. Sorry I kind of went off topic a tad.

The bottom line is we all need to seriously think about attending these markets where people are touching our products. It is impossible to keep everything clean then you bring it home. It is just not worth it to me. There will be other years and markets.

Stay home. Look at California. I bought a new tent too, how much is my life worth? A long time friend of mine, just a few yrs older than me, went into the hospital with an infection, 15 hrs later she was gone. she was a very healthy active person. I have been a great one for ignoring news media hype, hate masks with a passion and being told what to do, but even if the reported numbers are fluffed this virus is real no matter how it came here. I do go out when I need to but I carry my sanitizer and wear disposable masks, changing them each time.

There is just no way to sanitize products properly at shows. It would ruin my labels.

I’m fighting pneumonia for the second time in 3 months. My CT scan looks like that of patients that have had COVID. I tested negative for Covid but tested positive for antibodies recently. It’s not worth the risk to me. I’m sad not to be seeing my customers.
If you have covid antibodies it means you’ve had the disease at sometime doesn’t it? So sorry to hear you have pneumonia - it can take ages to clear up. Lucky it is summer for you.

When this all happened I decided not to do any shows. I didn't want the thought of someone touching something of mine and then it spread to anyone else.... or myself/family.
I won't be doing any shows at all till this is all under control. I have not made any stock since last Oct (?) maybe it was Sept I can't remember but I have a lot :(
This is far from over, and all the stupid people doing stupid things will keep that happening over and over.
I have thousands of $$ in oils & supplies here, most will be no good by this time next year.
Maybe this Fall I will do a MASS Soaping just to use up all the soaps and hope they will be good for the next few years ;) I already have a few small batches that I made 3 years ago that are just as strong

Our market has just announced their schedule for the remainder of the year. We're scheduled for every other Sunday into December. I may also be attending another small start up market on alternating Sundays. That one will be outdoors and will always be a fairly small market due to the location, perhaps 10-12 vendors. They had their first market today and I spoke with the woman who organizes it and another couple of markets. And it is almost literally right around the corner from where I live.

In addition to that, a friend of mine who is an artist and has an apple orchard will be opening her studio/shop sometime in August and she wants to sell some of my soaps there. All in all, it's looking like this might be my best market year so far.

When this all happened I decided not to do any shows. I didn't want the thought of someone touching something of mine and then it spread to anyone else.... or myself/family.
I won't be doing any shows at all till this is all under control. I have not made any stock since last Oct (?) maybe it was Sept I can't remember but I have a lot :(
This is far from over, and all the stupid people doing stupid things will keep that happening over and over.
I have thousands of $$ in oils & supplies here, most will be no good by this time next year.
Maybe this Fall I will do a MASS Soaping just to use up all the soaps and hope they will be good for the next few years ;) I already have a few small batches that I made 3 years ago that are just as strong

I'm doing the same as you. They actually just cancelled my last big one in September. I'm glad I didn't make a bunch of soap. I have the lowest stock I've ever had in 9 years or so. I just don't feel safe being in a tent with customers, touching and gosh knows what else to my products.

I am doing the same as Shunt and Lin. Although I was thinking of doing one last Holiday Craft Fair with soaps only and my crochet hats, I am not too sure I will even do that one. My hubby and I are discussing my just going out of business. My husband needs disk fusion and I really think he should not be carrying heaving soap crates so I think this corona mess just made my decision for me. I have not renewed my insurance yet.

Problem is I have several 5 gallon buckets of oils that I will never use up for just us.

I shrink wrap all soaps I sell and always have thin end cut slices as smell samples. My slices have a label and shrink wrap around the middle so they do not have to touch the soap. This is how I have always displayed my soaps. If my end cut loses fragrance with a soap that has been around a long time I will unwrap one bar to use has a smell sample.

Where I live shelters are not even accepting donations and frankly, at this point it is to much work to even make the soap, wrap and label to give it away.

Latest posts

Back