Cracking soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
A friend sent me a bar of handmade goat milk that she purchased, and it started to crack once it dried out. It looks like it almost has a shell over the top of it from the crack. What is the problem and how do you avoid this?

I am simply giddy! I did two CP test batches last week just to test the water, so to speak, , but really am experimenting with several today, looking to find a good "base" recipe that I like. Then will work on goat milk...gotta put the "kids" to work you know!

What does it mean when you dream of soap before you have really started??? Should I be worried? :roll:

Thanks!

First you have to admit that you are an addict then call us if you need us.

As for the cracks in the soap it could have overheated...or maybe it wasn't a good formula. Someone else have any ideas?

Sudsy Bubbles

oops I didn't read that close enough. You said it didn't crack until it started drying. Maybe there was too little water and too many hard oils in the formula...or maybe it cracked from heat and they patched the crack and later it cracked again...can you tell I have no idea?

Sudsy Bubbles

Thanks Suds! I tend to wonder if the too little H2O and hard oils. It is weird, and something I don't want to have happen. Still absorbing as much info as I possible can!

DANG! Yes, my name is S.E. and I....am a soapaholic. The first step is to admit it, right?!

...dreaming of making soap already? I'd say you've been bit bad by the bug...join the club!!!

The only time I have had soap crack was when I didn't wrap it up nice and snug when it was sitting overnight? Haha, I can't think of the word for it, lol, but after it hits trace, you put it in the mold, and then you wrap the mold in towels etc overnight? I didn't do that when I first started my soap ventures and all my soap cracked.

Hi everyone :)

I've done about 40 batches now, and have been known to yell "hurry up with that mold....it's tracing too fast....oh man....soap on a stick!" I wish I remembered the dreams, but they're there. Guess I've been bitten by the bug bad too.

Edited to add: I've had soap crack before too.....the CPOP that I accidentally processed overnight at 170. :)

Latest posts

Back