Cracking question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country gal

Reaction score
Just when I thought I was good to go...... My batches now have any where from a hair line crack to an out right crator on top. I have noticed in my batch notes that I am using 33% not 38% . Would the water have something to do with it? Also, trying to look things up, I am now using 35% coconut oil instead of 30%. Info I read earlier said that sometimes too high a coconut % makes for a crack.
I mix lye and oils around 90 - 100 degrees. Sometimes the soap goes into gel stage really fast and other times like last night it took a while.

I am trying to be patient, but it is horrible when you just want to make soap!!!

Another question...I noticed on soapcalc that there is a sat:unsat ratio. What is a good ratio?
Thanks!!

Maybe it is overheating? I've gotten large cracks down the middle of my log when my soap has overheated!

x

imho, i believe the soap may be getting too hot in the gell stage. what kind of mold? (wood/plastic)

how large a batch are you making?

i check my molds about every half hr. they should be warm to the touch. if they heat up too much you should take the lid off and any blanketing. if that doesn't slow it down you might stick it in the fridge.

i've just gotten a digital thermometer that i place next to my hdpe 4.5# log mold under the towel. the 2 batches that i have done both gelled and the temps ran about 98 degrees.

i soap stone-cold and pour at thick trace when i use my plasctic logs. they are too big to put in my oven, so i place them ontop of a heating pad (covered with plastic) set on medium for usually 1 hour.

my 5# wooden slab mold requires no heat but i soap around 90 degrees. i cover with a couple towels and check on it frequently.

I have a wooden mold. (lined with freezer wrap) It holds a 2 lb log. I pour the soap in, put two pcs. of thin card board on top, then wrap it in a towel doubled over. So the towel is all the way around it.
My other batches didn't crack and that's why I wondered if uping my % of coconut oil would do that or the fact that I went from 38% to 33% in my calculations. I didn't swirl my batches before and I think I covered them with wrap to prevent white stuff!!! Now with swirling the top (like cake icing) I don't put anything but the card board on the top of the mold.

Do you think it would gel with out the towel or even the topper on it?

Thanks,
Jeanette

country gal said:
I have a wooden mold. (lined with freezer wrap) It holds a 2 lb log. I pour the soap in, put two pcs. of thin card board on top, then wrap it in a towel doubled over. So the towel is all the way around it.
My other batches didn't crack and that's why I wondered if uping my % of coconut oil would do that or the fact that I went from 38% to 33% in my calculations. I didn't swirl my batches before and I think I covered them with wrap to prevent white stuff!!! Now with swirling the top (like cake icing) I don't put anything but the card board on the top of the mold.

Do you think it would gel with out the towel or even the topper on it?

Thanks,
Jeanette

i'm wondering if maybe your f/oil might be the cause-some coconut f/oils and florals heat up on me. i just soaped 2 batches of soap with 50% coconut oil with no problems.

what temp are you soaping at? it's all about controlling the temp after it starts to warm up. if it feels too warm, then remove the towel.

my temps were between 90 and 100. I used grapefruit from natures garden.
I will try leaving off the towel and watching it closer. Also will work on my husband making me a bigger mold with more surface area!!!

I think it sounds like heat too. What are you adding to it, if anything? Things like honey can really heat up a batch.

Perhaps the difference is the heat outside. I live in Minnesota and in the winter I have to really bundle up my soaps, but in the summer sometimes not at all.

It's easily remedied by keeping an eye on it and taking the towel/blanket off entirely or partly depending on how hot it's getting.

Good luck!
Stacie

country gal said:
To this batch I had only added fo. At what temp would I watch out for to "undress" my mold so to say : )

i wish i could just run over there and check! :D

i just started using the thermometer next to the mold, but i'm guessing over 105 degrees-now don't forget, i'm using a plastic mold-wood will hold the heat more, so i'm not sure a thermometer would be accurate.

someday i'm just going to stick my temp stick in the soap (non fragranced) and see how hot it gets at gell.

wish i could be more help!

Thanks Heartsong.... My husband gave me a "touchless" thermometer when I started, at gel one time I peeked and it was around 180......crazy hot!!!!

He also corrected me, my mold is made out of some density board, I think he said high density or mdf... I was thinking it was out of pine. OOPS....
Well Tomorrow is a new day and a new batch!!!
Thank you for your help!!
Jeanette

Latest posts

Back