Cracked Soap

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Marie, Jan 12, 2019 at 11:23 PM.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 12, 2019 at 11:23 PM #1

Marie

Marie

Marie

My very first experience with "cracked soap" after 20 yrs of soap making! I read several posts on the topic and think it may be the "over heated" problem. I would, however, welcome your feedback. I made a recipe according to my soap calculator, but with the following changes: I used 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 water amount, superfatted about 1-2 oz Bakers Chocolate; insulated, and saw crack in the morning. Now, I'm thinking "don't insulate"! What think? I was able to slice the soap and pretty much press the cracks out and it looks great imo, so I'm very thankful for that. I'm posting a couple photos, hope you can see the cracks regardless of dark color. Soap is very chocolaty and so yummy smelling and looking, but hard to view the cracks. Choc crack.jpg Chocolate cracked.jpg

2. Jan 12, 2019 at 11:49 PM #2

Hendejm

Hendejm

Hendejm

People are going to mistake it for chocolate cake and try to eat it! Well done!

SaltedFig, Meena and Marie like this.
  3. Jan 13, 2019 at 12:14 AM #3

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

The combo of coconut milk and the bakers cocoa probably caused it to overheat. You did a good job of repairing the crack

Marie and Cellador like this.
  4. Jan 13, 2019 at 7:35 AM #4

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

It looks good!

(and yes, don't insulate might be just the thing, if the soap is going to gel all the way to the edges of your mold anyway :)).

If it doesn't gel all the way to the edges (or you are worried that your room might be a bit cool), it could be very lightly covered until it (just) fully gels, and then the cover can come off and the soap cooled ... but that might take a little hovering ;))

(Is there such a thing as helicopter soaping? :))

KiwiMoose and Marie like this.
  5. Jan 13, 2019 at 7:33 PM #5

Marie

Marie

Marie

Thanks for input, guys. I'm thinking that overheating could be the problem. Next time will try not insulating and maybe a bit of "hovering". :thumbs: :rolleyes:o_O

SaltedFig likes this.
  6. Jan 14, 2019 at 8:25 AM #6

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Ha! Yes there is such a thing, i was one of then when i first started.

I would personally do what i did and that was to lightly insulate and see what the soap does the next few hours. I dont mind if my soaps gells or not but if they do gell i prefer for them to go all the way. So what i did was to helicopter them. If they look like they dont wanna gell i just let them be and remove the cover if they are gelling i keep the insulation and check back later if looks like it reached full gell i uncover, if its still trying to fully gell i keep the cover. Its a bit of trial and error because it depends on a lot of things like the recipe and the general temperature of the place you are soaping in. But you’ll figure it out.

SaltedFig likes this.
  7. Jan 14, 2019 at 1:50 PM #7

LindaT

LindaT

LindaT

My milk soaps always crack so now I put them in the refrigerator for 24 hours, take them out, let them come to room temperature, then unmold them. I let them sit another day or two before cutting.

8. Jan 15, 2019 at 1:29 PM #8

karon L adams

karon L adams

karon L adams

Chocolate can do that. I usually used cocoa powder rather than chocolate which, of course, includes cocoa butter and other fats. but here is where, again, I like using plastic wrap to cover the soap cause it give an artificial, flexible top layers that can help prevents cracking. it doesn't always, but it can help.

That second loaf, was it made with an uneven top or did you have voids on the surface that resulted in the long crack?

9. Jan 15, 2019 at 1:30 PM #9

karon L adams

karon L adams

karon L adams

also, I DID find that cocoa powder meant MUCH warmer soap.