Cracked feet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igbabygirl

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for cracked feet. I saw a product on HSN that looked like it worked miracles and their feet looked like baby feet after they used it. I wonder if there is a homemade recipe out there that would do the same thing or close to it.

I would slather on a whipped shea butter & sleep in cotton socks.

No disrespect intended to the home shopping network - but In my experience with them, they don't usually sell 'miracles' lol.

A nice long foot soak, followed by a few minutes of a pumice stone, topped off with whipped shea butter will work nicely. And also, as mentioned, brand new thick cotton socks.

don't shoot me, but the best I've found for cracked heels is.... ChapStik. Yep, the commercial stuff. Won't catch me putting it on my lips but I'm willing to on my feet!

carebear said:
don't shoot me, but the best I've found for cracked heels is.... ChapStik. Yep, the commercial stuff. Won't catch me putting it on my lips but I'm willing to on my feet!

:lol:

infusing oils

mandolyn
What kind of oil do you use for herb infused oil? Is there one that is better than another?

Re: infusing oils

mamaT said:
mandolyn
What kind of oil do you use for herb infused oil? Is there one that is better than another?

I always use EVOO for infusing for salves. To me, a salve should be a work horse, so I want an oil that is hardy & heavy. Then I streamline it even more for specific applications by adding EO's specific to that application.

I use light oils to infuse for light creams where you want them to quickly absorb without a lot of greasy feeling. Apricot kernel, camellia seed oil, etc. That's where I use exotic, more pricey oils for infusions.

A very good & not too expensive light carrier oil is fractionated coconut oil. It absorbs really quickly!!

my favorite tool for the feet is the foot file. the pumice doesn't seem to do anything for me.

and in the summer, when on the beach i always sit in the sand at the shore and rub my feet in the wet sand. yey, summer coming soon,.... i hope we just got dumped on the other week with snow(melted now).lol

I just took a very large container of EVOO back to walmart because I read it's not best in soaps. Said to use grade a and b in soaps and use evoo in gourmet cooking.
Is this correct and if not, why do you like the evoo better than the other olive oils?
I also have fits with my feet cracking in the summer because I go barefoot. I'm so hot natured I don't want to put on socks at night because I get hot. I found some of those thinner silkier feeling socks for this very thing at the Dollar Tree back last year. They're not sooo hot.
ahhhhhhhhh the beach sounds sooooooooo nice! I think I would love to live on the beach! It's just so relaxing!

EVOO is fine in soap, it's just expensive compared to regular olive oil.

carebear said:
EVOO is fine in soap, it's just expensive compared to regular olive oil.

The color of EVOO is not the same as Grade A. EVOO is very green, & can really play havoc with coloring in soap. The Grade A is a light yellow & much easier to compensate for when coloring.

I can see your point. I guess that would depend on how much you use. I have used it up to 30% without issue. I do color and swirl in my soaps.

I don't soap it because it costs too much. I buy it, but only use it in cooking instead unless I'm short on OO and then I use it.

My heels are so cracked right now that I ruin all my nylons. And hubby doesn't want to play footsie for fear of being scratched! :oops:

oook, so a nice footbath is in order for you

take a bath melt, throw it into a washing up bowl, fill with hot water (hot but not scalding). Switch on TV, put to a nice channel. Go to the bathroom and get a towel. Place all phones close to the sofa. Go to the toilet. By now the water has cooled down enough for you to use it. Soak feet until soft. Realize that Pumice Stone (or foot file) is still in the bathroom. Decide that it's not needed. Soak some more. When done, dry one foot with towel, wring towel as it has fallen into the bowl and try to dry the other foot with it. Then get a pair of socks, smother feet in whipped shea and put on socks.

If you do that a couple of times a week, you will get lovely soft feet, just in time for summer (and you learn how not to drop the towel in the water, forget the pumice stone, it will always be where your footbath is not...)

Here's an update. I've recently put together a regular routine for my feet to keep the cracked/dry heels at bay.

1. wash feet, then soak in whatever, but thoroughly soak. I like to add herb-infused water to my foot bath.
2. exfoliate with a sugar, not salt scrub (salt stings cracked heels) & really work on the heels. Rinse well to get all the scrub off
3. cover heels with salve. I've tweaked my salve to use fractionated coconut oil which absorbs really, really quickly, one other liquid oil (your choice), jojoba, tea tree EO & lavender EO for their antibacterial & healing properties
4. cover feet with socks

Done once a week until heels are healed, then once every couple or 3 weeks to maintain.

Sometimes really badly cracked heels can be caused by a fungal infection. That should be treated first.

My heels are as soft as a babies. Whenever I feel the slightest bit of roughness, I use the exfoliating scrub right away followed by the salve. Right now, I only need to exfoliate about once a month, but I moisturize with a thick cream at least once a day, twice if I've done the scrub.

Maintenance is really the key here.

I forgot about this thread... I have a new opinion lol.. I started getting cracked heels this year. I found good old vaseline does a great job at retaining moisture to dry skin... re-reading this thread makes me think carebears idea about chapstik would be great - same result, less greasy feeling.

A friend of mine asked for something for her seriously cracked heels. I made the sugar scrub cubes recipe from this forum. She said it was the only thing that has worked for her and wants me to keep her stocked up.

Back