CPSR lye concentration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osasoap

Reaction score
Hello

I recently sent off my recipes to be tested with cosmeticsafetyassessment.com and received an email back stating that my water should be twice that of my lye. I use a 35% lye concentration which I perceived to be within the safe range for a water discounted soap. I used soapcalc to figure out my amounts and the soap comes out perfect with a good ph. I wasn't aware that water discounting would be an issue but as this is my first time sending my soap recipes off to be tested I'm a little confused. Could anyone offer any tips or insight into why this would be? I have attached the figures from soapcalc below. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :) :)

Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 10.37.41.png

I can't really help but I recently contacted them to ask if I could change my lye concentration in an approved recipe from 1:2 to 1:1.5. They said you can't make changes, I would have to resubmit and pay for a new certification. But they didn't say that a higher lye concentration would be a problem. I want to make this change because I have problems with soda ash at the lower concentration. It will be hugely annoying if I can't. However, they are not the only certifying body, so you could try someone else. I am not aware of a minimum requirement for lye concentration if it is within safe limits.

How could it be proven how much water was used? It evaporates. As long as you Use the minimum safe amount . I know nothing about European certifications but this seems kind of crazy to me. I am so glad we Soapers in the USA don’t have to go through all that testing and expense. I can understand the reasoning behind it but it just seems over the top sometimes especially with issues like what you are describing. 😔

Latest posts

Back