CPOP or naw?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That should actually be a pretty good soap. Next time try one of the recipes Jstar listed. That 5% castor oil makes a big difference.

I will for sure. I think I love this soap already. It's cool to note how it evolves over time. Even though it's been a small time it's so much nicer than before.

Bubbles, after some very limited no-fail wisdom, are hard. The no-fail stuff: CO in high proportions (although the downside of that is that it is v. drying for many folks.) Castor to maximize the lather in the existing oils, I use b/w 7-8%, the average is probably lower (5% is what you see most often b/c it will accelerate your trace a little and make your soap softer in higher amounts), others have used higher amounts w/different mixes with success. Sugar of whatever sort, including honey. 1 tspn to 1 Tb ppo, people vary on that too. I use a sugar solution, so mine ends up being @ 1/2 TB ppo when you factor in the distilled water.

After that, it is up for grabs. I use aloe for my lye liquid and full coconut milk in every batch b/c *I* think they make the lather good. But I got suggestions for doing that from anecdotal sources, so even if I like my soaps better with them, other people might disagree, and I have no scientific basis upon which to claim that my feeling is true (and really, I don't care, so wouldn't anyway.)

It is such an unsatisfying answer, but you kind of have to try a bunch of stuff and just see what you like. Although it sure is fun to try all the stuff :)

Bubbles, after some very limited no-fail wisdom, are hard. The no-fail stuff: CO in high proportions (although the downside of that is that it is v. drying for many folks.) Castor to maximize the lather in the existing oils, I use b/w 7-8%, the average is probably lower (5% is what you see most often b/c it will accelerate your trace a little and make your soap softer in higher amounts), others have used higher amounts w/different mixes with success. Sugar of whatever sort, including honey. 1 tspn to 1 Tb ppo, people vary on that too. I use a sugar solution, so mine ends up being @ 1/2 TB ppo when you factor in the distilled water.

After that, it is up for grabs. I use aloe for my lye liquid and full coconut milk in every batch b/c *I* think they make the lather good. But I got suggestions for doing that from anecdotal sources, so even if I like my soaps better with them, other people might disagree, and I have no scientific basis upon which to claim that my feeling is true (and really, I don't care, so wouldn't anyway.)

It is such an unsatisfying answer, but you kind of have to try a bunch of stuff and just see what you like. Although it sure is fun to try all the stuff :)

I think it's a lovely answer! It is fun. I'm excited to setup the experiments. It's clear my daughter wants to be a full time tester.

I would personally up the CO to about 20% and add Castor at 5-7% with an SF of 7-8. I use a combination of PKO and CO in my recipes and I love the lather I get with it. I generally go to around 22% in combination and my cleaning is still 14-15 which I find nice as does my family. The castor will add stability to your lather. Part of the fun is playing with your recipes until you find what you love most.

I have to admit, the longer this soap cures the more lovely it gets. Currently the lather is great. There isn't anything off by any means. It leaves my hands clean and soft. Can't wait till it's been a year.

Heh heh...you have been assimilated as well...resistance is futile :lol:

Latest posts

Back