CPOP or naw?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty good to me - congratulations on your first (of many, I'm sure) batch!

Normal indeed, but until you try a cured bar, do you really know what you might want to change? Let's say you make a second batch now with more co, then find the first batch too drying - the second batch will be totally in the wrong direction.

I would try something totally different next time, like a salt bar or 80% lard or somesuch, and then something else totally different, then your first batch is cured enough for feedback

Normal indeed, but until you try a cured bar, do you really know what you might want to change? Let's say you make a second batch now with more co, then find the first batch too drying - the second batch will be totally in the wrong direction.

I would try something totally different next time, like a salt bar or 80% lard or somesuch, and then something else totally different, then your first batch is cured enough for feedback

That's a great idea. Maybe a shampoo bar next. Salt bars look interesting as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Nicely done! :clap:

nogud247 said:
Is it normal to want to make more right away? Like change one veritable and do it again. And again.....

Yep, it sounds like you've been successfully assimilated. You're one of us now. :p

IrishLass ;)

Is it normal to want to make more right away? Like change one veritable and do it again. And again.....

Absolutely!
Good advice has been given on this question already, but I'll chime in anyway.
I have been soaping about a year and a half or so and consider myself a pretty raw beginner. I have around 200 bars of various recipes in all stages of cure on the racks at any given time. I watch this forum all the time, when I see a recipe that looks good I print it out, then I might make it or I might keep it a while and make it later. Or not. While those are curing I'll find another one and try it. Now I'm learning to make modifications to those recipes, and have even made up a few myself. Some of my early soaps are pretty darned good right now, some aren't worth a hoot. Some of those first soaps I didn't keep notes on, so I don't really know what they are, and it's too bad too, because there is one that I really like, and I can't reproduce it. Now I write down everything, and label all my soaps, so I can look anything up if I want to.
Watch the discussions here on the forum, just about any question you can think of will come up at some point or another, but if it doesn't then ask it yourself. These folks are a goldmine of information.

Last edited:
I've read so many posts here that it's insane but I have to soak up all the success and fails of y'all. I keep notes on most endeavors I take on, soap is no exception. My daughter thought me crazy when I was writing notes while making the soap. Then I showed her my candy notes... She might commit me. Thank you to all that have helped. I'm sure just by reading you'll help me even more.

It feels really nice already. Can't wait for another month. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1439399462.926175.jpg

It's been two weeks so I decided to try this soap again...it's really very nice. Much more mellow than a week ago. It leaves me with soft skin not dry. My daughter decided she wanted to use it and now I "can never stop making soap ever "

Did you put castor oil in it? That helps pump up the bubbles. Others also talk about putting sugar in the batter to boost bubbles (1 tsp ppo I think?). I have not tried this yet, but I'm sure someone will let you know the proper amount.

Did you put castor oil in it? That helps pump up the bubbles. Others also talk about putting sugar in the batter to boost bubbles (1 tsp ppo I think?). I have not tried this yet, but I'm sure someone will let you know the proper amount.

I didn't add castor or sugar. I believe you are correct about that amount btw. I think I'll try that in a few batches when I come back to this recipe.

The very high olive oil is why you have little lather and bubbles. Decrease the olive to 50%, add in 5% castor, then make up the difference with palm or lard. You will have much better lather and it will still be lovely on your skin.

The very high olive oil is why you have little lather and bubbles. Decrease the olive to 50%, add in 5% castor, then make up the difference with palm or lard. You will have much better lather and it will still be lovely on your skin.

Sorry I made the 80% lard 15% co 5% OO actually. But yes my original was going to be high OO

Maybe try

75% Lard
15% CO
5% OO
5% castor

OR

80% Lard
10% CO
5% OO
5% castor

Or you can try a bit of sugar...1 tsp ppo is correct :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back