CPOP or naw?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Research is a great thing to do but getting in and getting your hands dirty (haha) is the best thing to do. I did heaps of research before my first batch and i still have had heaps of batches go wonky. Ive had soap on a stick, overheating issues, morphing colours, too much colours and im sure other things i can't remember right now.

Reminds me of a mate i had in high school who "theoretically" knew how to use a clutch in a manual car. Needless to say all his theory went out the window the second he hopped behind the wheel. I still laugh about it to this day.

Anyhoo enjoy your soaping and if you really want to get some soaps for the charity sale in september maybe some melt and pour soaps for this one and your cp soaps for next year would be the way to go.

Anyone want to pick this apart and let me know what I'm failing at from the start?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1439077279.350830.jpg

Yes my research did. I believe some people use citric acid or something to help combat it? I'll gain the knowledge hands on as suggested. Thanks to all that replied.

You are so lucky to have known about, and expected it, before hand. None of my books addressed it. None of my "how to do it" research warned about it. I found out about it through experience. Then I had to find out what to do about it. Now I use citric acid at 2% in all of my batches. Everyone learns and retains information differently. I'm a hands-on seeing-is-believing kind of learner. You can explain things to me a dozen times, but until I actually do it myself, I really don't get it.

Im going to agree with others here...these soaps you are making now may be ok to use yourself, but not for selling..you wont know how these soaps turn out say in 3- 6 months in a customers hands..some people buy handmade soaps and sit on them awhile..

Most here, including me, would advise getting many batches under your belt over a course of at 'least' a year to see how each soap/ingredients/FO's etc perform over time.

I wouldn't give out samples except to family and friends to start..not even charities...you may get a great soap to start, but its very easy to have major issues down the line..even soapers who have been doing it for 20 yrs still have surprises.

Good luck with your adventures, and welcome to the addiction :)

Anyone want to pick this apart and let me know what I'm failing at from the start?

View attachment 15813

I don't think you are doing anything "wrong" with this, but what are you hoping to get from the soap? Personally, I like my soap at 50% lard, 30% OO, 15% CO and 5% castor (SF 8%). It gives a hard, low cleansing, high conditioning bar with rich creamy lather and not a lot of bubbles. That makes my skin feel great. I also have a Bastile I love that is 75% OO, 25% lard & 5% castor (SF 8%). That is an amazing soap and it gives me a close shave without any nicks. So far, of the different recipes I've given to friends to try, these two are the favorites. You just have to make small batches and experiment. Once you've tested them on yourself and deemed them safe, give some to close friends (that won't sue you :)) and family to try out. What you think is the perfect soap may be the worst thing in the world for someone else. Soaping is an experiment in patience and a huge crap shoot. Plus a fun addiction.

I fully understand and concede to the terms collectively agree on by everyone here. That said do you think the posted soapcalc recipe would make good soap?

Good as in a soap to use at home and does it seem like a good starter soap?

I don't think you are doing anything "wrong" with this, but what are you hoping to get from the soap? Personally, I like my soap at 50% lard, 30% OO, 15% CO and 5% castor (SF 8%). It gives a hard, low cleansing, high conditioning bar with rich creamy lather and not a lot of bubbles. That makes my skin feel great. I also have a Bastile I love that is 75% OO, 25% lard & 5% castor (SF 8%). That is an amazing soap and it gives me a close shave without any nicks. So far, of the different recipes I've given to friends to try, these two are the favorites. You just have to make small batches and experiment. Once you've tested them on yourself and deemed them safe, give some to close friends (that won't sue you :)) and family to try out. What you think is the perfect soap may be the worst thing in the world for someone else. Soaping is an experiment in patience and a huge crap shoot. Plus a fun addiction.

Makes sense to me. I'm looking for a hard bar of creamy soap that doesn't suck lol. I just tossed the numbers in until it seemed like it might be something I'd like. I currently have OO, CO, and Lard on hand as well at a mold, cutter, FO. Just wanting to add this to my addiction list while also making something I can (eventually after years and some wizard training) give to people I like.

That recipe will make most excellent soap. My fear is that the high lard will spoil you for all other oil blends,

Thank you for the feedback. I also posted the feedback in the correct place so I'm sorry for a double post. I was thinking lard is 1) cheap 2) available 3) well loved by many soap makers so I figured why not give it a try.

Anything off the top of your head I should watch for since it will be my first soap? Should I cut ASAP or after two days ect.

Technically speaking, you should be able to cut that recipe within 8-12 hrs, maybe even sooner..however depending on what FO's etc you add, you need to watch for overheating, such as cracks or oil droplets on the top.

Technically speaking, you should be able to cut that recipe within 8-12 hrs, maybe even sooner..however depending on what FO's etc you add, you need to watch for overheating, such as cracks or oil droplets on the top.

I am going to make this one lavender scented. I'm not sure how the FO will interact but here's to hoping.
Thank you for the reply. I'm excited.

I am going to make this one lavender scented. I'm not sure how the FO will interact but here's to hoping.
Thank you for the reply. I'm excited.

If you are using a lavender FO, you might have some acceleration as it is a floral. The EO doesn't cause any problems for me.

If it were me, Id make my first soap unscented...just to see how the soap itself comes together...I'd do that several times and get the hang of it before adding anything else..and then only 1 extra thing at a time....

If it were me, Id make my first soap unscented...just to see how the soap itself comes together...I'd do that several times and get the hang of it before adding anything else..and then only 1 extra thing at a time....

There is a lot of logic here. I will make two batches and leave one unscented and in the second I will only add FO and change nothing else. Great idea. Thank you.

Okay I decided to actually make this. Lye is cooling now and everything's in place and waiting. I'm not sure why but I'm nervous lol. Pics one way or another sometime tomorrow.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1439226443.280173.jpg

Looks like it might end up as soap after all? I hope. Soda ash on the top of it but I don't mind really. I'll cut it tonight after work.

Back