CPOP Mishap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilsonFamilyPicnic

Reaction score
i tried layering soaps again and i decided to try CPOP to make sure they go through gel and stick together. well the layers seem cemented together, but the soap is all oily. it was sitting in oil in the mold and it was kind of spongey on the bottom. what's up????? :shock:

Whenever I've had oil pools on top of soap, it usually means not enough lye. This happened to me several times before I found out that my scale was misbehaving, and I had to buy a new one.

Can you re-check your recipe, try to remember EXACTLY what you did.

or: wait a few days or weeks, see if the oil dries up. Try using a bar then, and see how it works on your skin.

i've never had that happen before...i've made this recipe quite a few times. i'm going to try a batch today and see what happens. i was thinking i messed up the CPOP somehow. i certainly hope its not my darn scale!

thanks!

i just had something similar this weekend, trying CPOP for the first time. it seems that mine were overheating (developed a kind of bubbly-looking, "permanent gel" look on the tops, with some free oil around the edges of the mold.

one of them i rescued in time, the other i threw into a pot, mixed the crap out of it, and slopped it back into the mold. it looks like your typical rebatch, but it's better than throwing the whole batch in the trash.

i was wondering if it was too hot....that description sounds very familiar.....
although at this point i am sort of ready to toss it and pretend like it never happened....

no worries! just learned it myself the other day!! (so horrible with abbreviations!!)....but weep not! there is a definition sticky in the works ;)

Back