CPOP experiment by Auntie Clara

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngian

Reaction score
Auntie Clara's article: A Study In Overheating

A very interesting reading about CPOP method and the phenomenon of overheating.
I think there has been various talking around this forum upon this matter but I think it is good to repeat those issues along with Auntie Clara's experiments.

www.auntieclaras.com/2015/06/overheating-soap/

If the admins think that this thread should not be here you can move it or delete it.

I think it is a nice chance for talking/understanding such issues.

I've sometimes gotten Swiss cheese soap, although the pocks are only on the outside. However, like Swiss cheese, they're smooth, just very small.

It doesn't bother me. Not that I'd sell the stuff, if I sold, but for home use it's not an issue.

Thank you for that! The woman is a genius. And it's so generous of her to share her research. That was a fascinating post.

that was really interesting. Thanks for posting. I learned a lot! I CPOP a lot. I have only had one really messed up batch and now I kinda know why. I usually let my soap rest on the counter a short while before putting in oven. Sounds like I let it thicken up and then it is less prone to blisters and burning. I accidentally did something right

Thanks for posting this, Dorymae! I always enjoy her articles and experiments plus I learn something valuable. Today was no exception as I FINALLY learned about "silicone blisters". I've gotten those odd blisters a few times but could never figure out why. Ok, so I didn't even know they were called silicone blisters and I'm also still stumped by it.

In these experiments she's testing high and low water content in CPOP so she's saying the blisters can be caused by high water batter coming in contact with hot silicone. Another explanation is pouring the batter at a thin trace as opposed to thick trace. I don't CPOP but still get them occasionally. On the other hand, I insulate to encourage gel so maybe I'm creating the same scenario with the insulation as she's doing with the 140*F oven? My standard lye:water ratio is 1:1.8 so maybe that's still considered high water?

I'd like to hear other thoughts on this problem!

ETA: Sorry, ngian. I caught Dorymae's thread but missed yours. I guess they're combined now so I'm thanking you for posting also!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back