CPOP cavity molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while back there was a discussion about getting cavity molds to gel using CPOP. I thought the picture below might help some of the newer soapers to see the difference in what the soap looks like when gelled vs not gelled.
7EC343B5-0F27-4A7A-9A88-2116D939BC99.jpeg

I made shaving pucks using 1# of oils. I used beer as my liquid with a 33% lye solution. I added 1 tbsp of bentonite clay hydrated in 2 tbsp of distilled water. The extra water helped bring it to gel using CPOP. You can see the difference between the gelled puck below and the extra batter I poured into a flower mold. This I just set aside and it did not go through gel.

Gelling is another one of those things in soap making where there's no hard and fast rule.

I gel all of my soaps now but when I first started making soap I couldn't get it to gel without having other problems. I did a bunch of research and realized that my ingredients were making it difficult for me. Now I can't stop gelling, I'm addicted to it.

Alien brains are from overheating. You probably turned the heating pad up to high, or left it on too long, or both. For the small amount of soap in cavity molds, it doesn't take much heat to gel them.

Back