CPOP and oleic slime

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As I'm working my way through my soap stash, I noticed something odd. I was using a soap that was very high in HO sunflower oil (75%) and realized I quite liked how it felt. When I went to get another bar of the same soap, it was absolutely awful and slimy, even though it came from the same batch. The only difference was that I had poured my soap in 2 molds and only put one in the oven to see the effect on the color. The nice one had gone through CPOP, the not so nice one was from the ungelled part of the batch.

To my luck I realized I had some other soaps that I did similar a color testing on and that also were high oleic (75% OO, 75% SAO & 75% RBO). I tested them side by side at the sink and the non-gelled versions were always easier to slime up than their gelled counterparts. Most of them would get slimy by the end of their lives, except RBO in which I've only been able to produce a single slime thread from the ungelled version.

I'm very surprised that gelled vs ungelled made a difference, especially since these are well-aged soaps (over a year for the HO sunflower and almost 2 years for the others), so I'm curious if anyone else has had the same experience.

Happy soaping!

Latest posts

Back