CPOP and heat transfer method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CpnDouchette

Reaction score
Those of you who use the heat transfer method, do you generally CPOP? I suppose the usual advice applies, check temps etc but in a devil may care approach I just chucked it into the oven but then questioned my judgement and pulled it out after 5 mins to check on it. It seemed very hot but then I have no idea how hot my regular CPOP loaves get because usually I chuck it in the oven and then go to bed.

So in the absence of well controlled variables I though I'd ask you lovely bunch what you do.

Before I started Room Temp soaping, I used heat transfer with CPOP. My old house was chilly in the winter, so this seemed to satisfy my need for soaping without being fiddly and unmolding quickly.

I would think that with the heat transfer method you're starting out with less heat overall in the soap? Warm lye + cold oils rather than warm lye and warm oils? So from that point of view there doesn't seem to be any extra risk in CPOP, unless you're using extra-hot lye to compensate? 🤔

Before I master-batched my lye solution, I used heat transfer method quite a bit. I often CPOP'd too, but rather than the oven, I use a heating pad inside of an insulated box or bag. Much easier to check on, doesn't tie up the oven, and most importantly, doesn't make my oven smell like FO. 🤮

I’ve tried heat transfer method a couple of times & both times used heating pad under loaf on medium for 30-60 min to encourage gel vs oven. Can’t leave in oven with teens with late night cravings that NEVER seem to check oven before turning on!

Back