CPOP after 24 hrs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope all are well. Im new to the forum and this is my 1st q. For my palm soap recipe (sustainable palm), which is a new recipe i formulated, i realize that i MUST CPOP or else it crumbles like sand, the loaves with mica and fragrance. Recently i made the 4th batch and forgot to CPOP it so im wondering if its possible to do so now. I really dont want to rebatch it (since i had to rebatch the first one i did) nor do i want to leave it alone as it is. Has anyone every CPOPed at this point or any other suggestion? Thank you so much!

Hey there, I think something might be going on with your recipe and/or possibly your temps. It really shouldn't be necessary to CPOP to avoid your soap being crumbly.
Happy to take a look if you share you recipe. Or if you want to keep that a secret, knowing the percentage of palm alone can shed some light on things, as will the temps you are using to soap with.
Also, did you melt the palm oil completely and separately before adding it to your other oils?

Re: your 4th batch and if you can CPOP it; it will depend on when you poured it into the mold. Within an hour or 2 should be fine.

Newbie here!!! What does the "OP" in CPOP mean? I do know that "CP" means cold process, right?

Thank you so much for replying!
Well, it is the recipe but its a very "normal" recipe when its CPOPed! I did that so thats why i realized. This time i just forgot i needed to do that bc the recipe is new :/ brain fart yes. It is 60% palm oil, yes i did melt all the palm and stir, (cant soap cool with palm oil bc of the palmitic acids ends up with uneven saponification in my experience). This recipe with out any mica or FO is np really, its when the micas and FO is introduced then the music starts!
I really dont want to rebatch bc its beautiful colours and swirls. And its not crumbly really, more ashy and will harden up with time.
Also it has to be cut later than sooner i realize.
But i cut and put bk in the oven now, will see what happens. The inside was fine... I keep u updated?

Hey there, I think something might be going on with your recipe and/or possibly your temps. It really shouldn't be necessary to CPOP to avoid your soap being crumbly.
Happy to take a look if you share you recipe. Or if you want to keep that a secret, knowing the percentage of palm alone can shed some light on things, as will the temps you are using to soap with.
Also, did you melt the palm oil completely and separately before adding it to your other oils?

Re: your 4th batch and if you can CPOP it; it will depend on when you poured it into the mold. Within an hour or 2 should be fine.

Thank you so much! The recipe is honestly great CPOP or at warm temp. Its the cool temp in order to do the swirls that need theCPOP. Here is a pic of one that was CPOPed and PERFECT! Not crumbly. I had to redo ANOTHER one i initially did which was crumbly but the redo was fantastic thank God.

I use 40-45% Palm in my cp vegan recipes, my soaps do not crumble using 50% vinegar which hardens them even more with 2% superfat, 31% Lye Concentration. Something just is not right if your soap crumbles.

Attachments

• 1584804152493.jpg
    1584804152493.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 9
So CPOP is Cold Process Oven Process which makes the whole soap gel and harden faster to cut. Ithas many benefits but not recommended for any batter which overheats like ones with extra sugar, eg honey, milks etc. You prehat oven to 150-170 F stick ur freshly poured CP soap in for 1 hr then turn oven off and leave to sit. Sm ppl leave for 24 hrs, i do less and you can cut sooner bc makes it harder quicker to cut and onto curing. It also brightens the colours in the soap. Hope this helps but you may Google it, many resources on it. I would post for u but dont have the time right now sorry

Oven Process

Thank you so much for replying!
Well, it is the recipe but its a very "normal" recipe when its CPOPed! I did that so thats why i realized. This time i just forgot i needed to do that bc the recipe is new :/ brain fart yes. It is 60% palm oil, yes i did melt all the palm and stir, (cant soap cool with palm oil bc of the palmitic acids ends up with uneven saponification in my experience). This recipe with out any mica or FO is np really, its when the micas and FO is introduced then the music starts!
I really dont want to rebatch bc its beautiful colours and swirls. And its not crumbly really, more ashy and will harden up with time.
Also it has to be cut later than sooner i realize.
But i cut and put bk in the oven now, will see what happens. The inside was fine... I keep u updated?

Yes please keep us posted. It is interesting to learn! 60% palm is pretty high. You like living on the edge :):p I have had a crumbly experience with pigments (or micas that have pigments in them) before when added to batches that are high in solid oils. I figured it must be something to do with stearic acid but that is only a guess. More scientific research is needed.

Lol ure funny! Now i feel like a rebel lol.
I do love high palmitic-stearic/butter better than the soft oils bc that last longer and they dont dry out my skin. I really dont use CO at all. My soaps are also 8 or 10%SF.
You know, i figured its the soaping temp - the high palmitic-stearic needs a slightly higher temp 110 and up, and it needs to gel just to be perfect, not so much the micas, but thats my experience. Sm ppl have prob with TD and i dont.
The soap is currently sitting after i stuck it in the oven a bit so tom i will let u know if i find a difference
Its nice to share these experiences so we all learn together.
I just had a horrible soaping week just bc of forgetting one thing. Im so tired lol.

Yes please keep us posted. It is interesting to learn! 60% palm is pretty high. You like living on the edge :):p I have had a crumbly experience with pigments (or micas that have pigments in them) before when added to batches that are high in solid oils. I figured it must be something to do with stearic acid but that is only a guess. More scientific research is needed.

So CPOP is Cold Process Oven Process which makes the whole soap gel and harden faster to cut. Ithas many benefits but not recommended for any batter which overheats like ones with extra sugar, eg honey, milks etc. You prehat oven to 150-170 F stick ur freshly poured CP soap in for 1 hr then turn oven off and leave to sit. Sm ppl leave for 24 hrs, i do less and you can cut sooner bc makes it harder quicker to cut and onto curing. It also brightens the colours in the soap. Hope this helps but you may Google it, many resources on it. I would post for u but dont have the time right now sorry
Many here on this forum, me included, CPOP by heating the oven to 110*F (or preheating for 10 mins and testing to get it to 110*F) then turning the oven off before putting the wrapped soap in the oven. Don't open the oven for 12 hrs and it should be ready to cut. This method is reliable, doesn't require babysitting the soap and you don't have to remember to turn off the oven.

Back