CPHP soap feels "oily"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
I have made several batches of HP soap. This batch came out feeling "oily". Anyone have any ideas why this would come out like this?? Can it be saved by rebatching??
Thank you.
Kathie

We need a recipe with ALL ingredients in weights (not %) and some idea of the process you used, please. Also, do you have any thoughts what might be different about this batch compared with the others? Anything you did that was new or an ingredient you didn't use or ???

Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark.

Ditto to everything DeeAnna said. I'm in process of jazzing up on coffee though so I'll throw out my shot in the dark... it's the FO. If your recipe/process was the same, but you used a different FO... it's the FO.

If my hunch is right, give it more time. The excess oil will hopefully all reabsorb back into the soap, and it will be fine. If it doesn't all reabsorb, wipe off what you can and give it a lot more time. Make sure to zap test it.

But that's totally a guess...

I am using my ESP to figure this out... I see that the problem is that you added 4 tablespoons of vaseline to this batch!!

Pretty amazing how good I am huh?

LOL once I had an oily batch and it turns out that my Tea Tree oil from Trader Joes was something other than essential oils. The whole batch was oily then sticky then nasty. Another had the same when I used an unfamiliar FO that everyone loves and I dunno why but it was. So I vote for the FO. Or the vaseline...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back