CP will not trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnm

Reaction score
i've never had this before.
standard oils, coco, lard, palm etc.
distilled water, frozen beer cubes.
lye.
everything weighed.
immersion blender.

just no trace after an hour.

???????????

the lye solution was cool because of the frozen beer.
no actual temps on anything.
oils heated till just melted.
no eo's yet

i heated up the whole batch to about 130ish a little while ago, then pulled it off to cool.

can i hot process this now to save it???

Very interesting! Is your scale weighing properly? What was your lye concentration %?

Before hot processing it, I would wait 24 hours to see what it does, but that's just me.

IrishLass :)

the scale should be fine. it's all i use it for.

i'm using soapcalc
Total oil weight2268 g
Water as percent of oil weight38.00 %
Super Fat/Discount5 %
Lye Concentration26.945 %
Water : Lye Ratio2.7113:1
my weights could be off by a few grams maybe.

this is my third year doing soap with probably tens (50+) of batches made

Could you have forgotten to tare when weighing your lye, and perhaps included a previous weight or the weight of the container you poured into? Or done something like add an oil twice? If you backweigh to double check, you could discredit this. I've had wonky results before and that's what I've attributed it to. I never really figured it out since I don't always back weigh, I but wasn't completely surprised I might have made an airhead mistake. I'm not saying you were an airhead, mind you, but know there's company if that was the case :razz:

i think the lye is the issue. it was not real smooth flowing like it may have taken on some moisture

I made soap from 100% bacon fat once, and it didn't really trace, I poured it in the molds, and it slowly cured into the most amazing soap ever, took about a week before it was solid enough to remove from the molds.

I think the lye may be the issue. If you can procure some more lye elsewhere and try the recipe again, take notes and observe what happens

i think the lye is the issue. it was not real smooth flowing like it may have taken on some moisture

Yes this could be it. There are other posts where their lye got moist and didn't work properly over time. Apparently it depends very much on storage techniques as to how long it lasts.

Back