cp vs hp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltysteele

Reaction score
aside from the different methods in making them, what is the diff between cold and hot?

The hp tends to look a little more rustic , but there is nothing wrong with that . You cure time is less , you can use your hp soap once it cools , it has fully saponified during the cook . You don't get FO's giving you grief , you add them after the cook . I don't think colors morph as they do in cp . It is best to let it cure a week or so at least . Have you watched a tut , there are lots of fantastic ones , they give a great insight into exactly what it is . I just watched one , now I want to try it again :D

HTH

Kitn

What Kitn said.

To me, the biggest difference between the two is when the soap is ready to mold. CP batter at this stage is very smooth, creamy and pourable, and HP batter is...well.... not so much. :lol: That's why they come out looking more rustic looking.

Some people describe HP batter as vaseline-like, others describe it as mashed potato-like. With a little help, though, you can get it closer to the texture of CP batter by making sure to use the full water amount called for by the lye calculator, as well as adding sugar and sodium lactate to your lye water (HP secret weapons that no HP-er should be without :wink: )

With full water, sugar and SL, I am able to get my HP batter fairly close to the texture of CP at pour. It's not exact, mind you, but at least I can pour it into my mold instead of glopping it in with a spoon. It's much like the texture of thick, but pourable jam. You have to work fast getting it into the mold, though, because it sets up like hardened wax fairly quick once the cooler air hits it.

I use the HP method whenever working with ornery FOs.

IrishLass :)

I've had great luck with using the sodium lactate. I don't often have to add the sugar as Irishlass does because I have extra glycerin contained in the biodiesel glycerin.

Another benefit of the sodium lactate is that it helps make the bars harder.

Hot process is kinder to colors and scent as the lye is used up before you add the coloring or scent.

CastorFan said:
So what is "the full amount of water" ppo?

In Soapcalc you would leave the default of "Water as % of oils" at 38. So for 16 oz of oils it would be around 6.08 oz of water. I definitely need to buy some sodium lactate. Sometimes rustic isn't what I'm looking for!

with the sodium lactate for HP, how much would you recommend adding ppo? l haven't bought any for a long while and only ever used it in CP - is it the same usage rate?

scrapgabbie said:
with the sodium lactate for HP, how much would you recommend adding ppo? l haven't bought any for a long while and only ever used it in CP - is it the same usage rate?

i use 1 tbsp ppo and i add it to my lye water.

Latest posts

Back