CP versus HP - Do any of you do both?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meena

Reaction score
Here's a newb question: Do people tend to do CP OR HP but not both, or do some of you switch back and forth? What might be some reasons to do both or to stick to just one process?
I ask as more than an intellectual exercise -- I'm trying to decide where to start, and if there is a wisdom in specializing in one or the other.

...although I am contemplating buying a crock pot solely for the purposes of rebatching.
Smack Laugh.gif
Yeah, right.

I started out with CP but then tried my hand at HP and never looked back as I much prefer it for many reasons. My suggestion would be to start with CP and get to know it first and then try out HP and see the difference, both have their challenges but they are different ones and you need to find out what you are more comfortable with and what you want your finished soaps to look like, this will also determine your choice between the two.

I do both. Basically, I'm a CP girl who only resorts to doing HP when she absolutely has to, such as when making my shaving soap and when I'm soaping a very ornery FO that doesn't take kindly to being CP'd. I find CP much easier and less time consuming than HP, and my soaps come out much smoother and prettier. Also, CP gives me more design options.....and it's definitely much easier to swirl in CP than HP.

IrishLass :)

Both, with a preference for CP.

I find CP allows for more creative designs; I really like the gentle swirls and the smooth, creamy finish of a good CP soap.
(There's a bit of waiting involved, especially for ungelled CP, but it doesn't have to be particularly intense or frantic :))

HP to me is all about the business end of making soap (it's quick to make, easy to clean and goes from cook to the curing rack in no time ;)).

I think most of us are mostly CPers, but I know at least 1 member who is mostly HP. I do think all soapers should try both at some point.

HP is totally not scary. It is generally going to be bumpy/lumpy on the top, but that's easily fixable with a cheese slicer. It has a huge advantage when working with some troublesome ingredients, such as spicy smelling FOs or spice EOs (clove, cinnamon, etc). I personally like to make my honey soap HP style, because I like to use 5% beeswax, so I can't soap cool.

I think that either way is fine for a first batch, even. Just make sure you watch some videos of HP (soaping 101 has a good one), so you know what it looks like. HP might even be better than CP for a first timer, because it's a little more forgiving, since you are adding your FO after the cook so you don't have to worry about the FO causing ricing or seizing.

I started CPing. Then switched to HP so that I could choose the SF. Realized all the SF was going down the drain so switched back to CP. Now am having a lil ash issue so will try CPOP next.

Last edited:
I started out with CP but then tried my hand at HP and never looked back as I much prefer it for many reasons. My suggestion would be to start with CP and get to know it first and then try out HP and see the difference, both have their challenges but they are different ones and you need to find out what you are more comfortable with and what you want your finished soaps to look like, this will also determine your choice between the two.

Love this explanation and reasoning! Sounds like a plan... Thank you very much. :)

I started CPing. Then switched to HP so that I could choose the SF. Realized all the SF was going down the drain so switched back to CP. Now am having a lil ash issue so will try CPOP next.

Oh my gosh, i can't remember what SF is!!! and CPOP? Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!! :D

I think most of us are mostly CPers, but I know at least 1 member who is mostly HP. I do think all soapers should try both at some point.

HP is totally not scary. It is generally going to be bumpy/lumpy on the top, but that's easily fixable with a cheese slicer. It has a huge advantage when working with some troublesome ingredients, such as spicy smelling FOs or spice EOs (clove, cinnamon, etc). I personally like to make my honey soap HP style, because I like to use 5% beeswax, so I can't soap cool.

I think that either way is fine for a first batch, even. Just make sure you watch some videos of HP (soaping 101 has a good one), so you know what it looks like. HP might even be better than CP for a first timer, because it's a little more forgiving, since you are adding your FO after the cook so you don't have to worry about the FO causing ricing or seizing.

This also is a great explanation and raises excellent points. I need to find out what ricing and seizing are in this context... Thank you so much. I do like both rustic looks and smooth, sophisticated ones as well. Depends on the overall artistic look one is after for a particular batch. Sometimes you need your lug-soled ankle boots, and sometimes, high heels. :)

I do both. Basically, I'm a CP girl who only resorts to doing HP when she absolutely has to, such as when making my shaving soap and when I'm soaping a very ornery FO that doesn't take kindly to being CP'd. I find CP much easier and less time consuming than HP, and my soaps come out much smoother and prettier. Also, CP gives me more design options.....and it's definitely much easier to swirl in CP than HP.

IrishLass :)

Super, but at this stage of my non-game :)D), I can't fathom why any FO would care. I guess it's a chemistry thing? Maybe certain oils don't like heat, is that why?

Both, with a preference for CP.

I find CP allows for more creative designs; I really like the gentle swirls and the smooth, creamy finish of a good CP soap.
(There's a bit of waiting involved, especially for ungelled CP, but it doesn't have to be particularly intense or frantic :))

HP to me is all about the business end of making soap (it's quick to make, easy to clean and goes from cook to the curing rack in no time ;)).

Quick to make and easy to clean, hmmmm, you are tugging at my heart strings! LOL!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You soapers are all fantastic people!! I appreciate all the input and will let it rattle around in my brain while I'm working myself up to actually DOING SOMETHING. :D ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/the-acronym-and-abbreviation-definition-thread.51841/
Is the link to all the short speak we use here. It takes a while to learn to speak soap.:D

I am like most I can do both but I almost always do CP or CPOP now. I started out with HP and fairly quickly changed over to CP.

Some FO's like to make soap on a stick ( accelerate) but behave well in HP. I have a few floral FO's that I have to be quick with.

OK, now i am REALLY going to have to delve into the chemistry of this FO matter. Or maybe not, since I'm "organic girl" and so might probably stick to EOs.... or do they have "finicky" issues, as well? Oh, and thanks for the lingo link!

Last edited by a moderator:
The spice - particularly clove - and floral EOs can be finicky too. Citrus EOs will fade quickly. The usage rates are different as well, so be sure to check.

You soapers are all fantastic people!! I appreciate all the input and will let it rattle around in my brain while I'm working myself up to actually DOING SOMETHING. :D ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou
YW YW YW YW YW ...It helps when Newbies ask questions we know the answer to! ;)
...I'm "organic girl" and so might probably stick to EOs.... or do they have "finicky" issues, as well?
"Stick" is the operative word. Getting EOs to "stick", i.e., linger more than 6 months or so, takes a bit of knowledge and experience. I used EOs only for 5 years and then switched to FOs because fragrance sells, and FOs deliver scent better.

I'm relatively new to soap-making and do both. I am with many others as I prefer CP (easier, smoother pour). I use HP for my transparent soap and every once in a while to mix it up. I just don't have the skills to make the HP (not transparent soap) consistent for me and the final product doesn't look as pleasing.

Here's a newb question: Do people tend to do CP OR HP but not both, or do some of you switch back and forth? What might be some reasons to do both or to stick to just one process?
I ask as more than an intellectual exercise -- I'm trying to decide where to start, and if there is a wisdom in specializing in one or the other.

I started out with HP and still like it because of cure time. I have since added CP to my skills but prefer HP. I don't do all the cute and pretty soaps. Instead, I concentrate on having a great quality of ingredients. Just my preference.

Latest posts

Back