CP using Crisco

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research on different 'simple' recipes, to start adding to my collection (I have a standard go-to recipe that's very nice, and not much else yet), and I ran across one of my grandmother's that uses Crisco-type shortening. I know many people like using Crisco with Palm, instead of multiple individual oils, for various reasons, so I figured why not give hers a try. Are there any tricks to using it, vs. using the individual oils, or anything in particular that I need to look out for? It's a new can, still sealed, and expiration date is about 2 years out, so fresh.

Here's the recipe:

Crisco (44%)
OO (28%)
Coconut Oil (28%)
Lye (6% SF)
Water

If it turns a good soap (I usually run 2 or 3 test batches with 6 week cure time, with new recipes, before deciding if something is a keeper), I'm considering reducing the OO & Coconut evenly, substituting either mango butter or Argan oil, to use this as a base recipe for my facial soaps.
Any feedback or tips are appreciated!

I wouldn't put the argan oil in as it is too expensive an oil and you wouldn't see the benefits unless you are putting a large amount in. You are better off keeping that for leave-on products.

Make sure you run that recipe through SoapCalc or purchase SoapMaker 3 as that allows you to keep your recipes and make notes on the batch so you can know how it behaved. To get those features you need to go to SoapMaker Pro version.

If it were me I would start out making her recipe to see why she liked it and then tweak as you would like with that one as your baseline. Good luck with it, have fun and report back so we know how it went.

I have everything set out, ready to go, I was just running it by everyone for opinions. The Argan and Mango Butter are just future ideas, for now, they're definitely more 'luxury' than I'd ever toss into test batches... today, the batch is just going to be the recipe as it is, for testing. I love the learning process and experimentation. :)
I'll definitely post on how it looks, in the next couple of days. I'm planning at least a two-day set in the mold, for this one, since I have no idea yet how quickly it'll set up. Notebook is ready, and I'm feelin soapy!

So far, it's definitely gelling. Yay!
I put in a small amount of FO, just to offset any odor the Crisco may have given it, and the one I used wasn't in the portion of batter even 30 seconds before it seized up. I know not to use that one, again, for this recipe lol.
I'll check it in the morning, for any changes.

im just chiming in to follow this post. sounds like it will be a nice soap, and it will have that sentimental aspect attached to it :)

Latest posts

Back