CP traced fast and crumbled

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vgurer

Reaction score
I am new to this, but today I tried a CP coconut soap, 400gr olive oil, 200gr stearic acid (I was out of palm oil so I used this one) 100 gr coconut oil fractionated. plus 246 gr water (and I prepared a fragrance part to be added 20gr of dried coconut grind to 20 gr of soap fragrance, and 20 gr glycerin -I thought that this glycerin soaking will preserve the fragrance-,) and 101gr of NAOH. In the bain-marie the oils dissolved, but I had to wait for the temperature to climb around 70 degree celsius for the stearic acid to melt. After everything melted, the naoh solution was around 40 degrees hot, and the oils around 65 degrees. I didn't wait for the oils to cool, I was afraid that they will harden, and slowly I added the naoh solution, but at the moment I begin pouring and stirring, the saponification began and it hardened, like a crumbling dry potato purée, I took it from the bain marie, switch to electric blender, few minutes of blending later, it was more like a hard puree but dry crumbling was a little lost. so I think everything can be done has done, zap test ok. then I pressed it in the mold, still hot. I will wait till tomorrow to take it out and cut it. I was expecting a fluid solution which I will stir for a long time, to see the apple puree type of trace, What was my mistake? the temperature or stearic acid? I will post the photos after I cut it.

It’s because of the stearic acid. It will seize up. Some have used it in CP at a low percentage. Adding Glycerin likely didn’t help either. Glycerin will not help make fragrance stick. Hopefully you rand this through a calculator with the change of palm to stearic acid.

Coconut soap w stearic acid results. From dirty white to a pinkish brown, not so bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_172819.jpg
    IMG_20200215_172819.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 9
Back