CP Soaping - Definitely a learning curve to fragrances & discoloring

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy B

Reaction score
I made another CP soap and it really smells great, but I didn't like how dark it looks. So, in my research I found that the fragrance I used has a high dis-colorant factor, which I should have read prior to making. So, in my very limited knowledge, I'm just putting this out there for those that may have the same issue... research first, then make your soap.

The 1st picture below is prior to a week of curing. the 2nd is after... notice the ugly brown. I'm hoping it will get better with time, but I'm not counting on it.

Any others experience this and has it gotten better?

Attachments

• Cupcake at Tiffanys CP attempt.jpg
    Cupcake at Tiffanys CP attempt.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Discolored.jpg
    Discolored.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 42
I don't think it ugly. Its not really a very dark discoloration, I've seen discoloration turn dark chocolate brown.
If by getting better you mean getting lighter, then no, that won't happen. Its possible it might even get a little darker.

Always read reviews and usage notes when buying a FO. Anymore I try to only get FO that won't discolor or at least not by much.

I made another CP soap and it really smells great, but I didn't like how dark it looks. So, in my research I found that the fragrance I used has a high dis-colorant factor, which I should have read prior to making. So, in my very limited knowledge, I'm just putting this out there for those that may have the same issue... research first, then make your soap.

If it would help if you mentioned what fragrance you used. I keep a spreadsheet on all my colors and scents because there aren't always notes available and I may have a different reaction based on my particular recipe and soaping temperature.

The 1st picture below is prior to a week of curing. the 2nd is after... notice the ugly brown. I'm hoping it will get better with time, but I'm not counting on it. Any others experience this and has it gotten better?

I've heard of natural colorants lightening up, but never discoloring scents.

Sometimes I'm surprised with how much I like the discoloration when it happens. Sometimes in soapmaking you just get lucky. I made a soap with just a bit of red clay for color and a dusting of gold mica on top., I used Dragon's Blood, which I read might accelerate but I somehow overlooked that it discolored. It turned the most beautiful deep brownish-red, and I got a bit of soda ash on top which also seemed to discolor a bit, and it looks gorgeous and totally fits the fragrance.

20200202_164100_resized.jpg

I love embracing the brown. I made soap with blueberry FO that I knew would turn brown. I mixed in some navy mica for a drop swirl and left the rest of the soap plain. Now I have blueberry muffin soap.

I had some green and pink soap I didn't like, so I cut it into pieces and made a soap scented with oatmeal and honey, threw in the chunks and will have baby Yoda soap. Cute little baby wrapped in a brown homespun robe......

Embrace the Brown is my motto :lol:

I like to use chocolate, coffee/expresso, or discoloring blends with a woodsy fragrance included to make dark soaps, but I needed design inspiration for brown. I found this on Instagram:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/browsing-soap-pics.51057/page-134#post-793870 (Second photo)

This one by Bearfoot Gypsy is nice, too:

DC8691DC-C97E-47C2-82AD-E683E8AFF6C3.jpeg

For a more floral scent, you can try mixing it with a dark color batter that you swirl into lighter unscented colors (or scented with non-discoloring FO or EO) but you should be prepared for some discoloration in the adjacent lighter color soap.

If it would help if you mentioned what fragrance you used. I keep a spreadsheet on all my colors and scents because there aren't always notes available and I may have a different reaction based on my particular recipe and soaping temperature.

I've heard of natural colorants lightening up, but never discoloring scents.

I've started keeping a spreadsheet now with all of the fragrances I have. The fragrance is Cupcake at Tiffanys from Natures Fragrance. It smells good. It has an 11% discoloration rate according to their website. I guess I have definitely learned on this one.

I bought samples on sale to try out. I found that most of the ones that I really, really like turn at least some color, brown, gold, orange. So I will be making brown, gold or orange soap unless I find a different supplier of a similar scent that doesn't turn color on me. Since I have no desire to sell and all my soaping is for family I'd rather have scents I love than soaps with colors I love. Although before I just go with the scents I want to do a layer with my blues, greens and purples. Maybe that one will be unscented which is okay too.

I bought samples on sale to try out. I found that most of the ones that I really, really like turn at least some color, brown, gold, orange. So I will be making brown, gold or orange soap unless I find a different supplier of a similar scent that doesn't turn color on me. Since I have no desire to sell and all my soaping is for family I'd rather have scents I love than soaps with colors I love. Although before I just go with the scents I want to do a layer with my blues, greens and purples. Maybe that one will be unscented which is okay too.
I have that problem too. The scents I love always turn brown. Green and blue and dark purple will hold up against browning. They will darken but it will still be recognizable colors. That is, unless the FO goes chocolate brown.

I have that problem too. The scents I love always turn brown. Green and blue and dark purple will hold up against browning. They will darken but it will still be recognizable colors. That is, unless the FO goes chocolate brown.
That's nice to know. Maybe I need to do some testing with the samples AND some colors at the same time. Of course the best ones are chocolate....I'll learn to love the color! Thanks for the heads up!

Back