CP soap using fresh Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambree

Reaction score
I saw this recipe from Elaine Whilte's soapmaking page and was curious about this recipe. She said adding an extra cup of cold milk would double up the bars. Wow. Is it possible? I want to believe it could work, but I wanted to see if anyone has really tried anything like this before.

Elaine White said:
Soap V
A traditional and blender soap combination. The fats are expensive, but milk allows for about 12 bars, vs. only 6 bars of the same recipe without milk. Pretty sneaky, hugh?

8 oz weight cocoa butter
5 oz weight palm oil
3 oz weight castor oil
2.2 oz weight lye (sodium hydroxide)
1 cup cold milk (I used 2% right from the frig)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon essential oil (I added 2 chamomile tea bags and 2 jasmine tea bags, dry)
Fats: 100 degree range
Lye/water/milk combination: 125 degree range

Dissolve the lye in the water. Add all ingredients to the blender. Process about 30 seconds, or until the mixture looks smooth and a uniform color. It will not trace. Pour it into the molds (it won't separate, trust me)

Note, she did say "blender". I don't have a blender, I wonder if regular stick blender would work too. :roll:

Adding that extra liquid would increase the volume of the batter, therefore allowing you to fill a larger mold, but I would question the quality of the soap. I have never tried this, but I would imagine that it would give you soft soap because you have used double the amount of liquid.

Thanks Becky. I was thinking the same thing too.

Much too soft to be a good bar. I think I'll start off with the regular milk based soap recipe before trying this version. :)

Black soap n candle lady said:
Just added more ooh and ahh. :lol:
I love that!! Now I have "bling oils" and "ooh and ahh" as ingredients. :lol: :lol:

Digit

:lol: I first saw that term in a PM from a soaper frienc of mine. Another soaper had given her a bar of soap (soap she was selling) as a thank you and it had developed DOS, and she was trying to figure out how to tell her w/o hurting her feelings.

We decided that the problem was superfatting with those "bling oils." :lol

MikeInPdx said:
:lol: I first saw that term in a PM from a soaper frienc of mine. Another soaper had given her a bar of soap (soap she was selling) as a thank you and it had developed DOS, and she was trying to figure out how to tell her w/o hurting her feelings.

We decided that the problem was superfatting with those "bling oils." :lol
That was soooo nice of y'all!!! I would have been sooo embarrassed but soooo grateful that someone was kind enough to tell me. :D

Digit

I can't say much for the recipe because I wouldn't use or recommend that particular one. And she is adding a lot more liquid than necessary, so i would think it would take a long while to evaporate the excess liquid, but then she's using a lot of cocoa butter, so maybe that balances it out. :shock:

But making soap in your blender is perfectly fine to do and safe, as long as your working with 1 pound batches, which this recipe is for.

http://www.colebrothers.com/soap/blender.html

Back