Cp soap that smells like lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leahjo534

Reaction score
I made my first batch of scent-free, sensitive skin, oats, milk, and honey soap. But- it smells like lye. I'm wondering if that's normal and if I've just never noticed my soap smelling that way before I added the EOs?? I just made it yesterday and so maybe the smell will go away?
20220306_182527.jpg

It's very beautiful tho if I can say so myself😏

Last edited:
I have bought Unscented CP soap from BA and it does have a scent to it...Smells like soap.
The same goes for Unscented MP soap--the detergent-free MPs have less of a scent-almost odor free, than the Regular MP bases from WSP and Stephenson

If you put actual milk in it, you may be smelling the ammonia-like smell that milk can create. It is usually gone within a few weeks.
That's what it is; it definitely smells like ammonia. Thank you!

It is super beautiful!! I’ve never noticed a particular scent for lye. What does it smell like?
Well... I'm not as cautious with lye as I should be so that may be the reason for me smelling it. But to me it just smells like straight up chemicals. Although as AliOop said it could be from the milk and I agree.

While we're on the subject of this soap, I have a question for the ones that have experience with making soap with milk. I cubed the milk of course so then the milk/lye mixture was quite cold. And then I wanted the oils to be at 140° so they honey part would be a darker golden color. And I've always heard the lye and oils have to be within 10° of eachother. So then I started trynna heat up the lye/milk by put it in a pan of water on the stove and then suddenly realized the milk would scorch and it was already getting a yellowish tint. So finally I was like "okay, f*** it. Imma just pour the lye/milk into the oils even tho they have about 20°-25° difference". Guess it turned out alright but... I feel like there's a better way. Advice?

While we're on the subject of this soap, I have a question for the ones that have experience with making soap with milk. I cubed the milk of course so then the milk/lye mixture was quite cold. And then I wanted the oils to be at 140° so they honey part would be a darker golden color. And I've always heard the lye and oils have to be within 10° of eachother. So then I started trynna heat up the lye/milk by put it in a pan of water on the stove and then suddenly realized the milk would scorch and it was already getting a yellowish tint. So finally I was like "okay, f*** it. Imma just pour the lye/milk into the oils even tho they have about 20°-25° difference". Guess it turned out alright but... I feel like there's a better way. Advice?
The lye and oils don't have to be close in temperature. You can get some false trace if you put colder lye solution into oils that harden when cool (PKO is the main culprit for me). But even that's not a big deal - you just stir or blend it out.

The lye and oils don't have to be close in temperature. You can get some false trace if you put colder lye solution into oils that harden when cool (PKO is the main culprit for me). But even that's not a big deal - you just stir or blend it out.
Thank you!

I make Goat Milk Soap with fresh goat milk that I have frozen into cubes and then I do a 100% water replacement.

I make an ice bath…ice, water and salt (the salt keeps the water colder). I then set my container with the frozen cubes in it for about 10 minutes to chill it and then I add my Sodium Hydroxide in a bit at a time making sure the temp doesn’t go above 70F. If it gets close, I just let it sit until it cools back down. While I’m mixing my GM Lye Solution, I weigh out my oil and melt them…around 120F and then let them cool down a bit while I’m finishing up with the Lye. Lye Solution is usually a waffle batter consistency and around 60F-65F when I add to the warm oils. I don’t color my GMS so I just dump everything into the pot, whiz to a light trace and pour. If the ambient temp is around 80F, I put the soap in the frig, else-wise it goes in the garage. I end up with a creamy soap.

I make Goat Milk Soap with fresh goat milk that I have frozen into cubes and then I do a 100% water replacement.

I make an ice bath…ice, water and salt (the salt keeps the water colder). I then set my container with the frozen cubes in it for about 10 minutes to chill it and then I add my Sodium Hydroxide in a bit at a time making sure the temp doesn’t go above 70F. If it gets close, I just let it sit until it cools back down. While I’m mixing my GM Lye Solution, I weigh out my oil and melt them…around 120F and then let them cool down a bit while I’m finishing up with the Lye. Lye Solution is usually a waffle batter consistency and around 60F-65F when I add to the warm oils. I don’t color my GMS so I just dump everything into the pot, whiz to a light trace and pour. If the ambient temp is around 80F, I put the soap in the frig, else-wise it goes in the garage. I end up with a creamy soap.
i for informative! Thank you!

Beautiful soap, and...I want to know how I can get 20-year-old looking hands to hold my soap in my soap pics!
I'd say if your hands look like that of an older, wiser person, people will be more inclined to buy from you because you're more experienced than the people with 20 yr old looking hands😉😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back