CP Soap Swirling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreciousSoaps

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was hoping that someone could help me out. Yesterday, I decided that I would make some swirly CP soap. The swirls came out beautiful as you can see from the pic below.

As usual, I covered my soap and left it overnight....and look what happened, they don't look as pretty as they started off with! Is it because I let them gel? Should I have covered it or left them out in the open air?

Please someone help me.

Thanks,
michelle

PreciousSoaps said:
these were done at room temperature, but I also covered it up in a blanket. Do you think the heating is from wrapping my soap?
It could be. It could also be from a fragrance if you used one.

And all may not be lost. Take a sharp knife or wire cheese cutter and cut a very thin layer/slice off the top of the soap. It could be that just underneath the surface, the same swirls are there and the top just got a little distorted by the heat. Worth a try on one or two of the bars, at any rate!

We are often ( by often I mean always)our own worst critic. Everybody has had a batch or 20 that did not turn out exctly as planned. The best part is that other people who see our product for the first time do not have any preconcieved ideas of what it should look like. To them, it is absolutely beautiful.

For example, over the weekend, my wife and I made a batch that weknew would discolor. The plan was to add some brown to work with the tan base color in a funnel swirl. The batch started to accelerate quickly. The funnel was out. Now in the pot swirl looked like the only possibility. When I unmolded, there was not enough brown in the soap, the tan was darker than anticipated, and the swirl was poor. Every single person who has seen it has loved it. They don't have a clue that I considered it a total flop.

So cut it up and don't say a word. It WILL be a hit.

Okay, so this is trial #2 with my CP swirling. This time all I'm doing is putting some saran wrap on top of the mold. No wrapping my soaps.

I hope it works and that my soap doesn't overheat again.

turbo said:
We are often ( by often I mean always)our own worst critic. Everybody has had a batch or 20 that did not turn out exctly as planned. The best part is that other people who see our product for the first time do not have any preconcieved ideas of what it should look like. To them, it is absolutely beautiful.

For example, over the weekend, my wife and I made a batch that weknew would discolor. The plan was to add some brown to work with the tan base color in a funnel swirl. The batch started to accelerate quickly. The funnel was out. Now in the pot swirl looked like the only possibility. When I unmolded, there was not enough brown in the soap, the tan was darker than anticipated, and the swirl was poor. Every single person who has seen it has loved it. They don't have a clue that I considered it a total flop.

So cut it up and don't say a word. It WILL be a hit.

LOVE IT!! I totally agree with this statement!! We do strive for personal perfection..BUT if things go a bit awry....remember that beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder :D

Well its a hit! i think its beautiful. My all time favorite soap ive ever made was a boo boo. Came out completely wrong than what i wanted. It turned out to be great though, of course i couldnt recreate it if i tried. You really should love these because theyre great! I love that scent, it fits the look of the bar!

Believe me, PreciousSoaps, I am the same way. The minute soap doesn't turn out the way I imagined, I get all bummed out and feel like a jerk. But lately I've learned to just roll with it. Everyone is different...what you think is ugly, others might find beautiful and vice versa. I'm learning to make no excuses and just act like it's how I meant for it to look/smell.

When you're learning something new and using new ingredients/fragrances/colors, it takes time to learn all the quirks of each. For example, I learned that a few drops of blue dye go a loooooong way. I had no way of knowing that before, so next time I can adjust. Learn from any imperfections and you'll be fine!

Latest posts

Back