cp soap stuck in wooden mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't read all posts, but without knowing your percentages, it seems just based on the list that there's a lot of soft oils. I'd just leave it in the mold longer and recheck. Can you post your percentages? Beautiful soap however!

I'd also like to see the percentages..34 hrs sounds like a really long time to leave in a mold imo. I'd go with the advice of running a sharp knife down the side and getting it loose..it wont dry on the sides very fast with no air to it.

ETA: Im also curious..why did you wipe it down with vinegar? Do you always do that, or is this the first time?

Last edited:
I'd also like to see the percentages..34 hrs sounds like a really long time to leave in a mold imo. I'd go with the advice of running a sharp knife down the side and getting it loose..it wont dry on the sides very fast with no air to it.

ETA: Im also curious..why did you wipe it down with vinegar? Do you always do that, or is this the first time?

I did wipe it with vinegar because the mold had some oily residue from the previous soap batch, and if i used a damp or wet cloth to wipe it, it bubbles and lathers like wet soap. :)

i wiped the laminated sides thoroughly after the vinegar with clean damp cloth. It's just my way of cleaning my molds i guess.

Here's the percentages:
5% castor oil
35% coconut oil 76 degrees
10% cocoa butter
25% olive oil
15% rice bran oil
10% sunflower oil
5% superfat
34% lye concentration, water only (no milk)
Essential oil blend

So i guess here is the reason why my soap got stuck:
It was the first time i used activated charcoal and titanium dioxide. I premixed these into water, not oil. It was equal parts titanium dioxide/activated charcoal and water. I believe that had i used oils to premix the activated charcoal and titanium dioxide, the soap would not have become stuck in my molds. Because indeed, the molds i used do not need liners.

I used water based on what i searched from online resources. No, i did not try to premix the t.d and a.c in oil. My bad...

Lessons learned:
1. Better line the no-liner-needed molds preferably with freezer paper, except maybe for silicon molds. Wax paper for me works fine. I cant find freezer paper here in the Philippines and ordering online from Amazon or other foreign sites is too costly for me.

2. Lessen the water content for this recipe, or premix the activated charcoal and titanium dioxide in oil.

3. PATIENCE! And do not panic.

And i have finally removed the soap loaf from the mold :) i should have just left it there, probably for 2 weeks, 3 to 4 weeks at most.

Do you have access to food-grade silicone spray? Waxed paper is not a good idea - I tried a small mold with it over the weekend as a matter of fact and ended up planing the sides to get it off. Thankfully the "mold" was a small cardboard box.

I do not think the AC and TD mixed in water had anything to do with the sticking. I think you have 2 main issues.

1. You need to line that mold(no matter what it says). Not with waxed paper, though. See if you can find some sort of plastic to cut a reusable liner out of. I would look for a plastic place-mat or something. It might be wise to make a paper template before cutting the plastic so you know exactly where you need to cut. Then score one side on the bends. You can then tape that to the top of the mold to hold it in place.

2. Too many liquid oils are going to prolong hardening time. Period. And you have lots.

Last edited:
I agree with others here..alot of soft oils and no liner. You can also use a plastic grocery bag to line that mold..may get some wrinkling on the outside edges but those can be planed off...way better than sticking -lol-

Now..where's those cut pics...we wanna see! :)

I agree with others here..alot of soft oils and no liner. You can also use a plastic grocery bag to line that mold..may get some wrinkling on the outside edges but those can be planed off...way better than sticking -lol-

Now..where's those cut pics...we wanna see! :)

Here is a photo of a few slices :) i was able to have 12 slices of 1" thickness.

I do find the swirls really nice. It would have been better if the titanium dioxide and activated charcoal were more properly dispersed. practice makes perfect so i'll definitely do this batch again.

PicsArt_1432804541505.jpg

Do you have access to food-grade silicone spray? Waxed paper is not a good idea - I tried a small mold with it over the weekend as a matter of fact and ended up planing the sides to get it off. Thankfully the "mold" was a small cardboard box.

It may be available in some baking supplies store i will check :)

I have used the wax paper without any untoward incidents over the past year. I just decided to switch to a no-liner-needed mold because it took me forever the line the mold.

It would have been better if the titanium dioxide and activated charcoal were more properly dispersed.
Some colorants are intended to be mixed with water, some with oil. If your package is not marked try both and the one that doesn't work will be very obvious.

Those are awesome!

And I agree with Lee..try your TD and AC in both water and oil..you will know which works in a split second :)

Mine both say they work in both, but they obviously dont..they both work in water

Latest posts

Back