CP Soap Recipe w/ Shea Butter -- What do you think?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyFox

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've been using this recipe pretty consistently ever since I started soaping. I got it off the website of my main supplier (Voyageur Soap & Candle). Just wondering what your opinions are on it? I've always had good results with it, and it seems to produce a nice, hard bar with lots of lather.

200 grams (7.05 oz) Sodium Hydroxide (lye)
500 grams (16.9 fl. oz) Soft or Distilled Water
350 grams (12.3oz) Coconut Oil 76
450 grams (15.9oz) Palm Oil
500 grams (17.6oz) Sunflower Oil
100 grams (3.5oz) Shea Butter Refined or Unrefined
30 - 50 ml (1.0 – 1.7 fl. oz) Essential Oil of choice

Couple questions...

• If I wanted to make a palm-free recipe, what would you all suggest to replace the palm?
  • We have slightly hard water here in Victoria, BC. Should I actually go to the trouble of getting distilled water to soap with? I do often have issues with soda ash, could that be behind it?

Thanks in advance! :)

In soap calc:
upload_2019-9-17_16-37-0.png

In order of the calculation... the water is a bit high, but I won't judge you for that (I usually soap between 25 - 30% concentration) but be aware that that much water may leave you with warped bars as they age, especially with this soft recipe. 33% concentration is pretty typical for most recipes.

For me, the coconut oil is too high at 25%. I would drop it down to 15 - 20% and add in 5% castor to make up for the bubble loss. Although... the cleansing number is surprisingly low for 25%.

You didn't say if you are using High Oleic Sunflower or not. If you are not, you will likely have DOS at some point at 35% of your recipe. Switch to a high oleic version, or replace it with rice bran oil (and run it through a lye calc).

I would add in 5% castor oil regardless if you change the Coconut or not just to increase your bubbly number.

Personally I would up the shea butter amount just a bit, 10 - 15% brings more to the party without killing your lather.

Overall though, the INS number looks good so I don't see a problem with this recipe. The above tweaks are just what I would do for my skin and how I like my soap to feel/perform. If this recipe works well for you, then continue to use it (although I really would consider adjusting the water and switching to high oleic sunflower if you aren't using it already).

ETA: in answer to your water question, yes switch to distilled water. You don't know what contaminants may be in it and it can change without warning. I think lowering you water amount will help with soda ash.

Back