CP Salt Soap Q’s

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herrenfam

Reaction score
i made a batch of CP salt soap last week and I have a question. I used a 40% salt mixture. The bars are curing nicely (waiting on a soap planet after my attempts with a peeler went...poorly (lots of crooked cuts and even less straight edges).

But here’s my question: my bars have developed a white ashy coating to them. I could plane it off, but I need to know if it’s a production mistake since this was my first batch. I did make a mistake and added the soap to the oil and water/lye mixture rather than dissolving in the lye water. That’s mistake #1 I’ll fix next time. I used 60% CO, 30% OO, 5% CO and 5% SB. I used 3% FO but there’s no scent now.

Any tips tricks or links would be really helpful. Thank you!

Salt bars tend to ash.
3% FO based on total batch weight or oil weight only? Is it a trusted supplier? Have you used this FO before? The fragrance may come back during the cure, might not.

Salt bars tend to ash.
3% FO based on total batch weight or oil weight only? Is it a trusted supplier? Have you used this FO before? The fragrance may come back during the cure, might not.
Thank you for your response. I used 3% based on oil weight. I used fragrance from candle science. It was the first time I tried them. Thanks for letting me know the ash can happen. Is there a way to avoid it?

Ash is common with salt bars. I avoid it by covering them until completely saponified. Also, 3% isn’t nearly enough for salt bars in my experience. I generally use 6%-7% . For some reason it takes more in salt soap. You may also experience less lather in your recipe. Salt soap is usually at least 80% Coconut oil. Bit give it a good cure and see how you like it.

i made a batch of CP salt soap last week and I have a question. I used a 40% salt mixture. The bars are curing nicely (waiting on a soap planet after my attempts with a peeler went...poorly (lots of crooked cuts and even less straight edges).

But here’s my question: my bars have developed a white ashy coating to them. I could plane it off, but I need to know if it’s a production mistake since this was my first batch. I did make a mistake and added the soap to the oil and water/lye mixture rather than dissolving in the lye water. That’s mistake #1 I’ll fix next time. I used 60% CO, 30% OO, 5% CO and 5% SB. I used 3% FO but there’s no scent now.

Any tips tricks or links would be really helpful. Thank you!
I know I can be pesky, but what do you mean by, "I added the soap to the oil and water/lye mixture instead of dissolving in the lye water?" If you meant the salt you do not add 40% salt to lye water, 25% is about all that can be dissolved in water, and you never try to dissolve additives in lye solution, you dissolve them first then add the lye. When you soap with salt brine you create a Soleseife bar not a salt bar. For a salt bar the Fine salt to the batter. As other mention salt bars take at least 7% fragrance in my opinion and do tend to ash. Many fragrances will not hold well in salt bar and I think the salt just eats up the fragrance. Even my strong Dragon's Blood is used at 7% in salt bars.

Latest posts

Back